Need help for publishing pitch!

Started by
6 comments, last by GiLa 12 years, 1 month ago
Team Name

Perceive Pleasure and Play (Unofficial)

Project Name

Oren (Subject to change)

Description

At its core, "Oren" (as it is now called), is a 2D action-RPG with a large focus on the combat system. With gameplay being the one element that separates videogames apart from other artistic mediums, we see it necessary to capitalize on a game's main selling point. Videogames are meant to be fun. What better way to deliever this than through real player interaction?

Target Aim

Steam

Compensation

We're currently scouting out publishing partners, so at this point, we need a little extra help to push for the initial pitch! Those that assist us up until that point will receive compensation for the amount of work that they put into the project; a sort of "Thanks for the help!". Those that decide to stick with us, however, will be payed per asset. (NOTE: This is after funding is received!) Details will be worked out privately ^ ^

Technology

XNA

Talent Needed

-Sprite Artist/Tile Artist

-A.I. Programmer

-Sound Designer

Team Structure

Quentin Martin: Game Director

Dario Seyb: Lead Programmer

Nick Lawrence: Junior Programmer

Blair Ceradsky: Lead Artist

Trey Montpetit: Designer

Jeremiah Pena: Composer

James Gifford: Concept Artist

Website

N/A

Contacts

E-mail: aargon562@hotmail.com

Additional Info

We're looking for dedicated members who wish to stick it through until the end!

This is a serious project. Everyone on the team is looking to advance this into a full-blown career, so we hope the same could be said for any and all applicants!

Please don't apply if you neither have the skill, nor time that this project requires. Sorry if that sounds harsh!

Feedback

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Progress

Video -
[media]
[/media]

----Short video showing some of the game's features. This is not a good representation of the final game, nor does it represent all that the current build entails. This was an effort to show off the game's lighting and flame particles. There is much more to the game than what is shown here. Just keep that in mind ^ ^

Note: We suggest watching it in fullscreen!

tumblr_m0yfjabuXc1r7fi8do1_500.png

tumblr_m0yfk9RHtD1r7fi8do1_500.jpg

tumblr_m0yfliFHYy1r7fi8do1_500.jpg
Advertisement
When you say "Payment will rely on work-load throughout the development period!" do you mean you will get paid a precentage share of the profits depending on the amount of time and work you put in? Or do you mean getting paid upfront as each piece of work is completed.
All of the team members you're seeking are 100% of the team members required to produce a game. So, what exactly are your current team members doing besides being leads? Are they making a game?

It would seem to me that you guys have enough of a team already to get started--if you can't get started with the people you've got, then those people aren't capable of being leads and I can't help but wonder what they're doing there...
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

When you say "Payment will rely on work-load throughout the development period!" do you mean you will get paid a precentage share of the profits depending on the amount of time and work you put in? Or do you mean getting paid upfront as each piece of work is completed.

You will get paid a percentage share of the profits ^ ^

At the moment, we do not have the ability to pay up front.

I mean, if we could, we would be doing that, but unfortunately this isn't the matter.

All of the team members you're seeking are 100% of the team members required to produce a game. So, what exactly are your current team members doing besides being leads? Are they making a game?

It would seem to me that you guys have enough of a team already to get started--if you can't get started with the people you've got, then those people aren't capable of being leads and I can't help but wonder what they're doing there...

You're wrong, but let me tell you why. You're making a huge generalization across the whole of game development by stating that the people already on this team are sufficient enough to develop a game on our own. In actuality, you have no idea of the sheer scope of our game, so for you to tell us who we do and do not need is unfair. Your second assumption is that this recruitment is for "getting started", when this is not the case. This post is to strengthen our team and to speed the development process up to a more desirable rate. In case you haven't noticed, we're developing an Open-World RPG (look at the title!!). This requires a large number of skilled individuals. To have single artist produce all of the environment art, all of the monster animations, all of the character animations (don't forget animating the different equips), the User Interface, the dungeon art, the particle effects, and anything else you would find in a standard RPG, the artist would be put through Hell, not to mention that this would slow down production speed tenfold.

*Edit: Sorry if this came off as hostile! Tried to tone it down a bit ^ ^

You're wrong, but let me tell you why. You're making a huge generalization across the whole of game development by stating that the people already on this team are sufficient enough to develop a game on our own. In actuality, you have no idea of the sheer scope of our game, so for you to tell us who we do and do not need is completely ignorant. Your second assumption is that this recruitment is for "getting started", when this is not the case. This post is to strengthen our team and to speed the development process up to a more desirable rate. In case you haven't noticed, we're developing an Open-World RPG (look at the title). This requires a large number of skilled individuals. To say that a single artist can produce all of the environment art, all of the monster animations, all of the character animations (don't forget animating the different equips), the User Interface, the dungeonart, the particle effects, and anything else you would find in a standard RPG, you really must have never developed a game in your life.

Going off on a wild tangent like this and getting defensive instead of just stopping at "we are looking speed up development of a in progress game" and ending with a personal attack shows you probably don't have the maturity level to see a large project to completion. You'll get much worse comments about your game then that before its through.

[quote name='GiLa' timestamp='1322335658' post='4887947']
You're wrong, but let me tell you why. You're making a huge generalization across the whole of game development by stating that the people already on this team are sufficient enough to develop a game on our own. In actuality, you have no idea of the sheer scope of our game, so for you to tell us who we do and do not need is completely ignorant. Your second assumption is that this recruitment is for "getting started", when this is not the case. This post is to strengthen our team and to speed the development process up to a more desirable rate. In case you haven't noticed, we're developing an Open-World RPG (look at the title). This requires a large number of skilled individuals. To say that a single artist can produce all of the environment art, all of the monster animations, all of the character animations (don't forget animating the different equips), the User Interface, the dungeonart, the particle effects, and anything else you would find in a standard RPG, you really must have never developed a game in your life.

Going off on a wild tangent like this and getting defensive instead of just stopping at "we are looking speed up development of a in progress game" and ending with a personal attack shows you probably don't have the maturity level to see a large project to completion. You'll get much worse comments about your game then that before its through.
[/quote]

What I posted wasn't a wild tangent, nor did it end with a personal attack. Just as you came to the conclusion in regards to my maturity level, I came to a conclusion in regards to his experience in Game Development. I was simply correcting his baseless assumptions, and it is hypocritical for you to judge me on that alone.

It was not my intention to come off as hostile, but I apologize if that were the case. I just wanted to point out the error of his ways, in hopes that he doesn't repeat the mistake of over-generalizing.

No hard feelings I hope.

I came to a conclusion in regards to his experience in Game Development.

That's cute. I've been working in games for about 4 years. I've worked on games for Eidos, THQ, LucasArts, and plenty of game companies you've never heard of--on titles from little casual games for the iPhone, to games like Marvel Superhero Squad for the Wii.

The problem with a lot of start-ups lead by young or inexperienced game developers is that they often try to find their earliest rewards and success in getting more and more talent to join their project. This is an immature development model. To merely throw talent at the development cycle in its early stages is pointless beyond a certain threshold.

You are "in-progress," is this progress demonstrable? Or are you still designing?

You're requesting every discipline to assist you when you already have every discipline involved in the project as it is. Are these people already overloaded with work? Is there a need to produce more content, more rapidly than these people can provide? Or are you merely impatient, with the desire to accellerate your development because you're not happy with your current results? These are really important questions to answer for yourself and moreover, important questions when determining who is actually qualified to lead development in a discipline.

I have walked your path, I have been where you are, and I have come out through the other side. I did this over 6 years ago, when I was still in school.

I used to think that it should be the aspiration of every young game developer to try and make the "best game in the world" and fail. Because most game developers had that dream, and experienced that failure as a lesson.

But now it just seems to me like a misguided waste of energy, when you could be creating more focused and successful games. It just seems wiser for you to try one thing out at a time, rather than trying to tackle the whole world all at once.

So, I suggest working with what you have now. Working with a deadline to create a proof-of-concept before attempting to recruit anyone else. What can your team get done by New Years? If you can't get a working prototype out the door by New Years, you don't need more people. (At least not the broadband recruitment approach--maybe you need a better programmer)

Don't misjudge me, especially when you have no idea who I am or what sort of experience I could bring to a promising project (or anyone on this forum, for that matter). I don't have a lack of vision, I don't have a narrow scope of dream, I imagine games bigger and better than ever made--just like everyone else--but my experience informs me about the limitations we face in game development (both physical and monetary). It informs me about what CAN be done now, and what it takes to actually DO it.
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

What I posted wasn't a wild tangent, nor did it end with a personal attack. Just as you came to the conclusion in regards to my maturity level, I came to a conclusion in regards to his experience in Game Development. I was simply correcting his baseless assumptions, and it is hypocritical for you to judge me on that alone.

It was not my intention to come off as hostile, but I apologize if that were the case. I just wanted to point out the error of his ways, in hopes that he doesn't repeat the mistake of over-generalizing.

No hard feelings I hope.

Fair enough. Something that you will learn as you progress with your career is tact. Sometimes tone is hard to figure out just from words. But those same words are the only thing that other people have to go on most of the time. If I took your post as hostile when it wasn't intended that way then I'm probably not the only one. This thread is your gateway to getting help so you want it to be as positive as possible to get good people to join. "Less is better" is a rule to live by.

I looked at your site and it looks like you are making some good progress. You've got much more done then the usual post around here. I hope you can get your game finished.

[quote name='GiLa' timestamp='1322348733' post='4887984']
I came to a conclusion in regards to his experience in Game Development.

That's cute. I've been working in games for about 4 years. I've worked on games for Eidos, THQ, LucasArts, and plenty of game companies you've never heard of--on titles from little casual games for the iPhone, to games like Marvel Superhero Squad for the Wii.

The problem with a lot of start-ups lead by young or inexperienced game developers is that they often try to find their earliest rewards and success in getting more and more talent to join their project. This is an immature development model. To merely throw talent at the development cycle in its early stages is pointless beyond a certain threshold.

You are "in-progress," is this progress demonstrable? Or are you still designing?

You're requesting every discipline to assist you when you already have every discipline involved in the project as it is. Are these people already overloaded with work? Is there a need to produce more content, more rapidly than these people can provide? Or are you merely impatient, with the desire to accellerate your development because you're not happy with your current results? These are really important questions to answer for yourself and moreover, important questions when determining who is actually qualified to lead development in a discipline.

I have walked your path, I have been where you are, and I have come out through the other side. I did this over 6 years ago, when I was still in school.

I used to think that it should be the aspiration of every young game developer to try and make the "best game in the world" and fail. Because most game developers had that dream, and experienced that failure as a lesson.

But now it just seems to me like a misguided waste of energy, when you could be creating more focused and successful games. It just seems wiser for you to try one thing out at a time, rather than trying to tackle the whole world all at once.

So, I suggest working with what you have now. Working with a deadline to create a proof-of-concept before attempting to recruit anyone else. What can your team get done by New Years? If you can't get a working prototype out the door by New Years, you don't need more people. (At least not the broadband recruitment approach--maybe you need a better programmer)

Don't misjudge me, especially when you have no idea who I am or what sort of experience I could bring to a promising project (or anyone on this forum, for that matter). I don't have a lack of vision, I don't have a narrow scope of dream, I imagine games bigger and better than ever made--just like everyone else--but my experience informs me about the limitations we face in game development (both physical and monetary). It informs me about what CAN be done now, and what it takes to actually DO it.
[/quote]

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I apologize for the misjudgment of character.

In all honesty, the team is making progress quite swiftly, and we do in fact have a set schedule. This is not guided by an outside factor such as a publisher, but it is in place to keep development moving at a fluid pace. By the end of the year (that is 2011) we will undoubtedly have reached our goal for a solid prototype, after which we will be doing a number of things. For one, we will be seeking outside funding from launch sites such as RocketHub. Furthermore, we will be keeping a video devlog to gain interest in the title much prior to release, as well as introducing our work to sites such as IndieDB.

The reason I'm recruiting more people of specific job-titles is to ensure the game's quality. I admit that what we are trying to accomplish is quite ambitious, but I believe that it is in no way impossible, at least with the right skill set. Knowing this, I want to put the team in a position where if something were to happen, such as a teammate leaving, we will still have the ability to produce the quality assets that the game deserves. This is not "throwing talent at the project", this is just (in my opinion) good management.

I believe that I have a solid grasp on the situation at hand, and that recruiting more people is necessary for stability, production, quality assurance, and content. I am not instructing each programmer to program the same things, just as I am not instructing each artist to animate the same assets. We have each individual member working on isolated areas of game development (in which they excel) to piece the game together into one beautiful symphony.

I hope I answered your questions, and if not, feel free to ask more.

Like I said before, I apologize if I came off as rude and unapproachable, so forgive me for that ^ ^

I would also like you to know that, while I disagree, I do respect your input on the circumstance.

Your guidance is appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement