Physics SDK?

Started by
3 comments, last by beebs1 12 years, 4 months ago
Hiya,

I'm looking at using PhysX or Havok for game server-side collision detection. I don't need any of the more advanced features of either, I'm only after collision detection for players/agents with the environment.

Is there any advantage to either, specifically for a server-side simulation? I'm looking to integrate with recast.

Additionally, I'm developing for Linux - I havn't seen anything concrete about Havok for Linux, although I believe PhysX does support this - so that might be the decider.

Or possibly someone can suggest a suitable SDK I've missed?

Many thanks!
Advertisement
What about bullet? I've used Havok before on some personal projects, and bullet just feels very natural when experienced with Havok. It's compatible with both windows and linux and provides pretty much everything you need
Also, bullet is completely free and open source under the zlib license, and it is used in lots of commercial projects

I haven't used physx, so I couldn't tell you the pros or cons between the two of them, but you should really give bullet a go

I gets all your texture budgets!

Thanks very much - I hadn't realised Bullets supports so many platforms.

I'll have a look through their website.
PhysX insists on having its driver installed, which could be a real headache on a server...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Ah, OK.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to install the nVidia drivers on machines without X11, but it looks like there are some hoops to jump through. It seems Bullet is the best choice.

Handy information, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement