Programming languages and apps marketing

Started by
7 comments, last by creatip 12 years, 4 months ago
If one wantsto create AND market an app, then:

1. Is therea general rule that states it’s better to write an app in certain languagesonly?;

2. Can youwrite it in ANY language for as long as your executable demo is flawlessly working?;

3. If youbelieve your app might be of interest for big guys such as Amazon, Facebook,Google, MSN, Yahoo etc, then should you write a customized (checking out what programming language they'd like) version of your appfor each of the big wigs?

I asked theabove 3 questions cuz I created an app in … GML (which is a fun language to usefor a quick prototype). Now the app works fine for me AND for anybody I’d sendthe exe version to. (GML = Game Maker Language, but my app is not a game, butan improvement – add on -- to anexisting app most probably written in C++, Java and/or Python).

What could thebig guys’ reaction be if I send them this quick prototype for review?

(A) We loveit AND we’ll re-write it to fit ourneeds. Here’s $10,000,000 and 6% royalties for the rest of your miserablelife;

(B) Ummm, yesit works, but you have to re-send it to us written in THIS language;

© Get a F***outta here with your idiotic GML, you friggin’ punk! Get a life, learn C++ and callus back in 2022!

So do Istand a chance to pick up my $10M check next week, or in 2022 ([font="Arial"]Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years[/font])?
Advertisement

If one wantsto create AND market an app, then:

1. Is therea general rule that states it’s better to write an app in certain languagesonly?;

2. Can youwrite it in ANY language for as long as your executable demo is flawlessly working?;

3. If youbelieve your app might be of interest for big guys such as Amazon, Facebook,Google, MSN, Yahoo etc, then should you write a customized (checking out what programming language they'd like) version of your appfor each of the big wigs?

I asked theabove 3 questions cuz I created an app in … GML (which is a fun language to usefor a quick prototype). Now the app works fine for me AND for anybody I’d sendthe exe version to. (GML = Game Maker Language, but my app is not a game, butan improvement – add on -- to anexisting app most probably written in C++, Java and/or Python).

What could thebig guys’ reaction be if I send them this quick prototype for review?

(A) We loveit AND we’ll re-write it to fit ourneeds. Here’s $10,000,000 and 6% royalties for the rest of your miserablelife;

(B) Ummm, yesit works, but you have to re-send it to us written in THIS language;

© Get a F***outta here with your idiotic GML, you friggin’ punk! Get a life, learn C++ and callus back in 2022!

So do Istand a chance to pick up my $10M check next week, or in 2022 ([font="Arial"]Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years[/font])?

No, you don't stand a chance to pick up a $10M check just like that, or atleast it is highly unlikely.

AFAIK all the listed sites only accept finished apps for their platforms, They won't pay you upfront and give you a 6% royalty, but rather sell/deliver or host your app for you and take a cut of your profits. (Most seem to take 20-50%).

If your application is for the Windows platform and works as intended in its current format then you should be able to sell it on Amazon (Assuming your GM license allows it): check here http://www.amazonser...OAMakeMAmznServ for info on how to sell stuff on Amazon.

If you instead want your application to run on Android, WP7, iOS, Facebook, etc then you will have to rewrite it for that platform first.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Let me narrow it down so I'll get a less general answer. After reading THIS I had an app idea and I want to sell the app like Ashkay Kothari (scroll down to the last large photo) did. I don't want to sell it unit by unit using Amazon (thanks for the link -- it made me think of a Plan B).

So let's say I'd like to try to sell my app to Google for their search engine (being an option in their search engine might make more sense -- for them! -- then being an independent app). How should I approach them? Would it make any sense to send them a workable exe written in GML?

Let me narrow it down so I'll get a less general answer. After reading THIS I had an app idea and I want to sell the app like Ashkay Kothari (scroll down to the last large photo) did. I don't want to sell it unit by unit using Amazon (thanks for the link -- it made me think of a Plan B).

So let's say I'd like to try to sell my app to Google for their search engine (being an option in their search engine might make more sense -- for them! -- then being an independent app). How should I approach them? Would it make any sense to send them a workable exe written in GML?

Ashkay Kothari didn't just sell his app for $4M though, he made the App, published it himself and then sold copies for a total of $4M in 5 weeks (His company still owns ,develops and sell the app).

As for a google search engine addon, no a GML exe wouldn't make any sense at all.

Here is a link of google offices: http://www.google.co...ny/address.html

you could contact the closest one if you have a business proposition for them. (Allthough without knowing what your app actually does it is hard to imagine them being interested)
[color="#008000"]at this point -- since you said, "[color=#1C2837][size=2]

no a GML exe wouldn't make any sense at all.

[size=2]

[color="#008000"]" -- the question is quite simple:

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#8b0000"][size=2]if YOU would want to present an app for the Google Search Engine, in what language would you code it? What would be the acceptable language/[color="#ff0000"]s

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[size=2]

[color="#008000"](since, by now, it seems that some languages are not acceptable)?

[color="#008000"]at this point -- since you said, "[color="#1C2837"]

no a GML exe wouldn't make any sense at all.

[color="#008000"]" -- the question is quite simple:

[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#8b0000"]if YOU would want to present an app for the Google Search Engine, in what language would you code it? What would be the acceptable language/[color="#ff0000"]s

[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#008000"](since, by now, it seems that some languages are not acceptable)?

I wouldn't code an app for Googles search engine since Googles search engine doesn't support Apps.

The closest thing would be the gadgets for iGoogle (But that isn't directly related to the search engine), those are written using HTML, XML and JavaScript (You could probably throw in flash etc aswell, pretty much anything that runs in a browser should work) and are simply hosted by the developer and listed by google. http://code.google.c...ts/docs/gs.html

To actually modify the searchengine you would have to contact google and ask them, They aren't running Windows though so Windows executables will not work.
"[color=#1C2837][size=2]

They aren't running Windows though so Windows executables will not work." -- just my luck!

ohmy.gif I just downloaded VB 2010 Express (hoping to learn it in one night and get the check by next Tuesday) ...

I guess the Amazon (or similar) thingie becomes more appealing.

"[color="#1C2837"]

They aren't running Windows though so Windows executables will not work." -- just my luck!

ohmy.gif I just downloaded VB 2010 Express (hoping to learn it in one night and get the check by next Tuesday) ...

I guess the Amazon (or similar) thingie becomes more appealing.

It is fairly irrelevant though as i doubt that you really want to sell search engine technology to Google :D

I'm pretty sure we could toss you some useful advice if you told us exactly what it is you intend to do and who your target customer is:

1) Is your customer Joe Consumer or Google/Amazon/etc ?
2) Will your app be a desktop application ?, Mobile Application ? Web Application ? or something else ?
3) What is that other application that your app is supposed to integrate with ?
1. Any Joe that uses a Search Engine (SE) and any biz that benefits by providing a SE;
2. It must be a Web Application (like any SE. I hope I'm not wrong here);
3. I'll have to repeat myself, but the other application is a SE.

Would you be interested in a partnership?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement