• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JVEA01

Game Dynamics: How would you define it?

This topic is 2157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I would appreciate it if you would take the time to explain what game dynamics are to me. I have been told that it is not simply a player behavior, but a product of the player behavior and game mechanics. Another source describes game dynamics as the run-time behavior of game mechanics acting on player's inputs and each others' outputs over time. Though despite this, I still feel that my understanding of game dynamics are a bit hazy. I have come to understand it as the characteristic run-time behavior of the gameplay which is produced by the interaction between player, and game mechanics, elements and AI. Basically, game dynamics is not simply how the player behaves while playing, but how the game behaves when the player interacts with its features during gameplay. Can you please let me know if what I wrote is correct, and to give me feed back on what is the correct definition or how to improve mine. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all :)

Advertisement
I don't think the phrase "game dynamics" has an exact definition. Within what context are you trying to define it?

I don't think the phrase "game dynamics" has an exact definition. Within what context are you trying to define it?

well in the context of game design, where game dynamics are supposedly the product of game mechanics.

Dynamics often means "relationships" in the sense of a relationship which is actively changing or has a shifting balance. Within a game you could look at trade-offs between time and money or other resources, between damage dealing capacity and damage enduring capacity, or movement between different states within the game, such as alternating story and gameplay, or alternating timed high-pressure play and relaxed play.

For all the people who know game dynamics and it's functions, wouldn't they break it down just a bit further by a step by step process?

To help that person out? Instead of talking in riddles, the person probably doesnt have the money to fully study mechanics and it's process, and doesn't have the
time to soak up what your description of it is you are trying to get across? A little more defined help for that person is a winner in my view...plus, I am another
who is shelled into the 'where are your dynamics and your concept is hard to see without it' realm.

I have come to understand it as the characteristic run-time behavior of the gameplay which is produced by the interaction between player, and game mechanics, elements and AI...

I think, IMHO, you've come pretty close yourself. Game dynamics is the sum of the elements that creates the dynamics. Rules, interaction, AI and so on. It's difficult to put a finger on exactly one or two things that is the game dynamics.

Rules, AI etc. are explicit elements and balance and dynamics are implicit as they are the product of the explicit elements. The implicite elements are rather based on a meta-level where the explicite elements are a kind of handles you can adjust to balance the game, create dynamics, make it more challenging etc.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]Why would you need such a definition?[/background]

[/font] Edited by Legendre

I'm not sure if I'm right here either, but from what I can tell:

Game dynamics is the implicit outcome of explicit game mechanics. That includes things like player behaviour, game behaviour, AI, etc; Strategies that players come up with to play the game according to its mechanics.

A quick example I can think of would be in Super Smash Bros Brawl. They have a mechanic that a platform can only have one player character holding onto a side ledge at a time. Players use ledge-grabbing (push someone else off and then quickly grab the ledge yourself) to force other player characters to fall down and die.

Again, not sure I'm perfectly accurate on this, so I'd love confirmation / correction. Hope it helped.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!