Video Game Programming as a Hobby

Started by
9 comments, last by Arukas 12 years, 3 months ago
Hello-

I've always loved video games, and wanted to program video games. I'm not looking to do it to make money, although I wouldn't be oppose to it. But money isn't the driving force. I just want to make a game that is enjoyable to play.

I do have some areas where I need some help in though. Graphics and sound. I'm not looking for any of the cutting edge ultra realistic graphics. What resources or where would I look for stuff like that.

-Thanks
Advertisement
The best way to start programming games is by buying a book on the programming language of your choice and reading through it. I would suggest Python or C# because they are both fairly easy to learn and fairly powerful. There are also multimedia libraries available for use for both C# and Python. You should begin by building basic console games and slowly work your way up to more challenging applications like those involving graphics and simple AI. From there, the sky is the limit. You can learn C++ for a little added flexibility or keep working with the language you already have learned.

I do have some areas where I need some help in though. Graphics and sound. I'm not looking for any of the cutting edge ultra realistic graphics. What resources or where would I look for stuff like that.

You would use the Help Wanted, or the Classifieds. Don't post any help-wanted topics outside of those two areas. "White-Black" posted some today, and they've been deleted.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

wow so harsh here you did not even move them to the right place.

It's not the moderators' job to move your topics to the correct place, only to maintain that all threads and posts follow the rules of the boards, and to get rid of the threads and post if they don't, and the user as well if the need is there. It's your job to check that you are posting in the correct area to make sure you get a reply that a) you want and b) won't be moderated. Moderators are your friends, they keep the bad people away!

Hello-

I've always loved video games, and wanted to program video games. I'm not looking to do it to make money, although I wouldn't be oppose to it. But money isn't the driving force. I just want to make a game that is enjoyable to play.

-Thanks

Arukas, if you just want to hobby program with no intention of having cutting edge or special request art, try looking for Public Domain resources. In the "Music and Sounds" and "Visual Arts" boards they have a topic that lists many common sites. Those might be helpful for you.

I hate to continue this off-topic discussion, derailing the OP's topic. The HW and Classified boards have particular formatting rules in place. We can't simply move announcements there.

I already know how to program very well in a couple of programming langages. The languages aren't even my issues. I am still a beginer at video programing, I'm nonot completely new software developing and developing, just a beginer. The help wanted and classifeds are to advance for me. I also looked in the visual art and music sound forums, they are about creating graphics and sound, that is where my problem lies.

They sell 2d and 3d game engines on the net. I'd think there be websties that sell pre-package graphics and sounds. I google and I can't find them. I know what your thinking, if I can't find it on google, it must not exsist, right? However, I found some sites that do that in the most strangest place. I even saw a site that did some pixel art.

The reason I asked in the first place (in case your wondering), I searched for an indie game development forum. I figured I would ask here first, and see what the communicty though about graphics and sound.
I figured I would ask here first, and see what the communicty though about graphics and sound.

Your question is unclear. Please rephrase.
If you want to ask questions about graphics, maybe you ought to ask them in the Visual Arts forum?
If you want to ask questions about audio, maybe you ought to ask them in the Music And Sound forum?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement