3ds Max map -- now what?

Started by
6 comments, last by DyeGuardian 12 years, 2 months ago
Okay so I was wondering... Say I have a map created in 3ds max already (technically speaking I do, a plane with a grass texture--nothing else). What can I do for the next step? *Also, what do I need to do for boundaries? Like should I create 5 planes around the base plane and texture it with a sky texture?* Rather than focus on improving the map, I'd rather like to start on the engine and such.

My big question is HOW can I get from here, to having a model in the map (assuming I create animation in MotionBuilder for walking) and be able to walk around with it from a first person perspective?

This would help a LOT. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Well you should learn how to program....

Seriously, what language are you using? You could just upload this in UDK and start walking around on your plane in a view minutes....

You might want to look at some skyboxes and how they are implemented.

Well you should learn how to program....

Seriously, what language are you using? You could just upload this in UDK and start walking around on your plane in a view minutes....

You might want to look at some skyboxes and how they are implemented.

Hmm, thanks for the reply. Sorry I may not have given as much information as I should have. I am currently learning C++ but I don't want to be using other game engines and kits and such.
Then you should learn d3d or opengl.... But i would really advice you to pickup a library like sdl to speed up work and stop wasting time making your own libraries and engines.

If your new to programming i would advice you to stay away from C++, get into C# it's a much easier language. You would not need C++ for many years and it's much faster to learn. If you are just started learning C++ then prepare for a long long journey till you can get that plane to show up on screen. While you could get C# and XNA and start flying/walking around in a matter of hours (with some experience and a tutorial). When you know C#, you should get into C++ without much problems but C++ is a hard language and really not suited for beginners.

Then you should learn d3d or opengl.... But i would really advice you to pickup a library like sdl to speed up work and stop wasting time making your own libraries and engines.

If your new to programming i would advice you to stay away from C++, get into C# it's a much easier language. You would not need C++ for many years and it's much faster to learn. If you are just started learning C++ then prepare for a long long journey till you can get that plane to show up on screen. While you could get C# and XNA and start flying/walking around in a matter of hours (with some experience and a tutorial). When you know C#, you should get into C++ without much problems but C++ is a hard language and really not suited for beginners.

I was looking into SDL but I didn't find any books on it where I went looking (I'll have to find one somewhere..). For making a industrial quality First Person Shooter (for Computers/Online), how does C# compare to C++ in that aspect? I am willing to put in the time and money to learn C++ if it's what I need to do (as well as SDL and OpenGL).

I hope to have something in a year and a half (when I graduate high school). I am not going into this as a 'profession' (please don't suggest schooling for Game Development). Something being something I can bring online that's playable. Or even something only suitable to bring online locally and at least be able to do some basic things like shoot and run and such (basically a functioning game--or close to a functioning game but without any fine tuning).

Thanks. Also, I have dabbled around some programming and the idea of creating a game for a few years now so I have a little experience (and now an expensive book on learning C++).
Alone, you will never make anything that could be considered "industry" quality if you only have a year and a half to do it while attending school at the same time.

You should start simple--build some 2D games using C# or Java or even Python if you are entirely new to programming.
Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US
To answer the original question, I'd-
Save the map file in my "SourceArt" directory.
Export the map as COLLADA in my "Export" directory.
Write a content build pipeline that reads intermediate data from the "Export" folder and compiles it into game-read binary data into a "Data" folder.
Write a game that loads the data from the "Data" folder.

To answer the original question, I'd-
Save the map file in my "SourceArt" directory.
Export the map as COLLADA in my "Export" directory.
Write a content build pipeline that reads intermediate data from the "Export" folder and compiles it into game-read binary data into a "Data" folder.
Write a game that loads the data from the "Data" folder.

Thank you very much for your reply. Very useful information/advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement