Online code generation...

Started by
11 comments, last by wood_brian 12 years ago
I have been reading some post here about on-line code generation. What do you guys think? Is this the way things are heading.
Advertisement
Care to link to that post? 'on-line code generation' could mean a lot of things out of context.
I think what distinguishes on line code generation is the business model. There have been dozens of open-source C++ serialization libraries that have come and gone over the past 20 years and I think that's largely because they haven't had a viable business model. It isn't impossible to build a company around open source, but it is very difficult and growing more so each day.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net
Microsoft and Apple explicitly forbid use of their toolchain as a service.

So for 99% of the consumer market, things aren't heading that way.
I've seen some things out there based on data-model inspection and then compilation via an on-line service you submit your system architecture to and it constructs it... it worked well for business apps, just not sure about its long-term reliability (i.e., will it still be around in 5-10 years).
On line code generation is about source to source transformations. Here's an example.
There's a difference between online code generation and simply code generation though. Generating entities/ORM from a schema (re: wood_brian's link) has been done to various degrees of success for ages.

I think that it will continue to occur for a while since it'll continue to be painful and tedious for a while. If anything, it will go away if/when NoSQL sort of things win (I'm not convinced that will occur).

Providing such mechanisms via a service is... kinda dumb and not really helpful.

There's a difference between online code generation and simply code generation though. Generating entities/ORM from a schema (re: wood_brian's link) has been done to various degrees of success for ages.

I think that it will continue to occur for a while since it'll continue to be painful and tedious for a while. If anything, it will go away if/when NoSQL sort of things win (I'm not convinced that will occur).

Providing such mechanisms via a service is... kinda dumb and not really helpful.

I'm not convinced there's a viable business model other than as a service. I don't know if people need more examples, but s11n.net is a recent example of bad luck with the older approach. The guy who runs that has a note on the site saying his costs are increasing and the site may go away. (Best wishes to him. I know he's worked hard to build a quality library.)
Trying to make money off of code generation is a losing proposition, regardless of business model.
Trying to make money off of code generation is a losing proposition, regardless of business model.

Agree or disagree: It used to be easier to make money from a traditional C++ library than it is today?
I did find new advertising on my site last month. I'm not raking in the money, but the company is in better shape today than it was a few years ago.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement