A good framework for rapid development

Started by
5 comments, last by HNikolas 12 years, 1 month ago
Would like to get back into game development, I have recently done a lot of web development(Rails, some ASP.NET) and would like to blow some steam off programming games.

I am looking for a good framework that lets me rapidly develop any game that comes into my mind. I have toyed with XNA in the pass and think it is a great framework.

Is there anything new out there that I should check out before blowing dust off from XNA book?
[size=2]Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.
Advertisement
In addition, if you can suggest me any good Java frameworks(or engine if not too restrictive) that let me work with applets, I am all ears. smile.png
[size=2]Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.
My personal favourite is pygame. http://pygame.org/news.html

But if you want Java, slick is a good framework. As far as I know you can create applets with it.

http://slick.cokeand....php?page=about
Slick looks like a good framework. Anyone with experience could reply how easy is it to swap the graphics library to something else that also supports 3D?
If you're interested in 3D*, you can also check out Unity3D, which comes with a very powerful toolchain and decent portability out of the box.

* of course it can also be used for 2D apps, as any other 3D engine these days
Like Lastrezort said, Unity3D is a viable choice, let's you do thinks pretty neatly and quickly and has a great amount of resources available. Next to that the community is very active, if you get stuck, the answer is almost certainly there.

Other than that I think XNA is a good choice to stick with if Unity3D is not your thing.
Thank you for mentioning Unity again. I remembered it but have never really tryed it. I've always stayed away from the "engines" as much as I could because of the preconception that it restricts me too much but that does not seem the point with Unity so big thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement