Is Java struggling?

Started by
21 comments, last by Dmytry 11 years, 11 months ago
I got an email today with the following

[font=garamond, serif]· 3-5 years of UNIX experience[/font]
[font=garamond, serif]· Experience in standard lifecycle development methodology[/font]
[font=garamond, serif]· Will be hands on and required to cross train java developers to learn c++[/font]

[font=garamond, serif]I'm not sure of the company, but it looks like another company coming back to C++ after wandering around for awhile. [/font]
Advertisement
I don't have figures but on as a hunch I'd say no, it isn't, especially since Android has become one of the most dominant OSes on mobile platforms and Android development is done mostly in Java.
No, it isn't.

One particular company opinion of using C++ does not mean that Java is struggling globally.
[font=garamond,serif]>> ...cross train java developers to learn c++[/font]

Ahahahaha! ...oh wait, they're probably serious?! This is how to learn C++: forget all about java (maybe using shock therapy), learn C/Pascal/Assembler, then write small programs in C++ to be sure you're not doing it wrong. Then you can take what you knew in Java and apply it in C++.

No Java is alive and kicking, for JEE web apps and Android especially. But also many embedded devices these days should support Java, since it was originally built for embedding into coffee machines and the like.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
It's all about what popular mobile device best supports nowadays...But C++ is never a bad thing to learn in my opinion....
From Java... to C++?
Portability is going to be seriously fun.
I still recall last time I shared some work with a "native" Java programmer. No [font=courier new,courier,monospace]delete[/font]. Never. That was good. The solution? Use a garbage collected language. Ok...

Previously "Krohm"

Looks like somebody is falling for all the "C++ Renaissance" thing.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I still recall last time I shared some work with a "native" Java programmer. No delete. Never. That was good. The solution? Use a garbage collected language. Ok...[/quote]
I can't stand garbage collection. Is it really that hard to clean up after yourself? If you can't match up allocation/deallocation pairs perfectly then your code design failed and you need to rethink it. But that's just a pet peeve of mine about a specific feature, can't say anything about Java itself. I still hear from it everywhere so I assume it's still well alive. And apparently Java is everywhere "in my car" and "in my fridge" and "in my smoke detector" so I guess whenever I feel Java is about to die I can just cheer myself up by looking at any of those items (or cheer myself down knowing Java isn't actually powering any of those, lol)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

It's all about what popular mobile device best supports nowadays...

So far there's a lot about Android and little about data centers.

But C++ is never a bad thing to learn in my opinion....
[/quote]

I can't stand garbage collection. Is it really that hard to clean up after yourself? If you can't match up allocation/deallocation pairs perfectly then your code design failed and you need to rethink it. But that's just a pet peeve of mine about a specific feature, can't say anything about Java itself. I still hear from it everywhere so I assume it's still well alive. And apparently Java is everywhere "in my car" and "in my fridge" and "in my smoke detector" so I guess whenever I feel Java is about to die I can just cheer myself up by looking at any of those items (or cheer myself down knowing Java isn't actually powering any of those, lol)

Garbage collection isn't about whether or not you are capable of cleaning up after yourself; especially when the primary non-garbage collected language allows you to redefine everything that lets you clean up after yourself. After all, you don't drive all your garbage to the dump/recycling center despite probably being perfectly capable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement