A game with one life...

Started by
9 comments, last by peakdap24 12 years ago
Would you play a game about life and death and you live once. When you die you can live a different life. The goal is to live the best life you can. But, you fail when you have a terrible life in your opinion.

Not Everyone lives but, everyone dies.
You don't have to be old or sick to die, you have to be alive.
Aspiring artist and independent game developer.
https://twitter.com/_devonpeak
Advertisement
Is this like the "Game of Life" the board game? lol... get a job, get married, wait "The Sims" already did that.

Generally it's a little known fact that players shouldn't be punished but rewarded. Having one life to live does sound challenging, but unless it's done right could pose a threat to having fun.
A super simplified version of this is '30 Second Life' on the App Store.

Depending upon the amount you 'work' (ie hit the big green WORK buttons) in a given period determines how your life progresses afterwards. You can be a boy genius one second, then a drug lord the next.

You get to live your life 30 seconds at a time. It's a blast, and cute to just open and see if you can make Doctor Who :)

(I am not affiliated with them, I just like the game, and it sounds like a shorter version of what you proposed)
This game isn't like the game of life or the Sims. Its an art game about life. Every decision you make from the day you're born will effect your future. You will go to school and get a job (if you decide to do that) You will get married if you want but, you don't say you want to get married and you do. You have to try. You can have children and your children grow, go to school, get jobs, and get married. You don't need to feed yourself or children you have to love your family. You can also get diseases from decisions you made and this can effect your children or spouse When you die, you decide if you lived a successful life.

I want the game to be short. One life can be 0-30 minutes.

A super simplified version of this is '30 Second Life' on the App Store.

Depending upon the amount you 'work' (ie hit the big green WORK buttons) in a given period determines how your life progresses afterwards. You can be a boy genius one second, then a drug lord the next.

You get to live your life 30 seconds at a time. It's a blast, and cute to just open and see if you can make Doctor Who smile.png

(I am not affiliated with them, I just like the game, and it sounds like a shorter version of what you proposed)

I looked at 30 second life but my game is more is not humorous. And it's a time-lapse of life.
Best thing you can probably do is provide an example of all the different things a player would be doing in 30 mins. It's easy to say make it like life, but it all still has to be programmed.
I would write a game design document but, it's a short game and I can man it in less than a month. I use Game Maker for 2D games but i'm going to use the Game Maker Language for programming. And I'm not making this game now. I'm making two other games now. One is a 3D platform adventure. I posted this topic because I thought about the game idea but, I didn't know if it was good or if there were other games like my idea.
Any game idea can be good or bad. It is up to the design to determine that.

30 minutes for the whole thing seems harsh -- there are A LOT of decisions to be made in life, and many more that you as a designer might miss. Every person will expect different things from the game, and the time limit doesn't leave much room for variation -- I don't know how to put it in words, but it sounds pretty stressing -- like, the game focuses too much on the fact you have a timer and have to make the best of it. No time to take leisure in playing.

But maybe it is just me, I have always had an aversion to time-limiting gameplay (unless the timer was meant to distinguish rounds, which would not forfeit the work I put into the game thus far.)
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
It's not a timer... but I don't want a long game with saves like the Sims. It's a short art game about life.
Food for thought... Perhaps the decision to have children means that when you die you can take over one of their characters... and so on, and so on, until we all blow ourselves up. = )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement