I have an idea, and that's about it. Please help

Started by
30 comments, last by HappyHeathen 11 years, 12 months ago
While I certainly wouldn't say no to making money off of it, that's actually secondary. I just would like to see it become reality.
Advertisement

While I certainly wouldn't say no to making money off of it, that's actually secondary. I just would like to see it become reality.

I think he meant you are going to have to shell out some before raking in any. The basic idea is that a developer's time isn't free, and however awesome your idea may be, it won't become a reality in and of itself. You will need resources to achieve your goal, resources which you may not be ready (or able) to acquire or even apprehend. While I certainly understand your position on wanting to push forward and finish your project, it may be unrealistic and even outright impossible to do so if appropriate measures are not taken.

It is certainly worthwile to plan ahead but I believe you have your priorities wrong. You should first take a look at the bigger picture and carefully consider your next immediate move, which should probably be, "do I really want do to this".

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Does this sound like a valid course of action?
I'm thinking first, I try to get a team that doesn't require payment up front (This is probably the hardest part)
Second, get that team to produce a demo.
third, Put said demo on Kickstart.
(I'm resisting a south park "profit" joke here)
fourth, if kickstart is successful, use that money to pay the devs for the demo, and the production of the game.
What I meant by my comment before last is, While I'd prefer to have a hand in making it, I'd also be willing to give it to a team looking for an idea, just so I could see it become a reality.

I'm thinking first, I try to get a team that doesn't require payment up front (This is probably the hardest part)
Second, get that team to produce a demo.
third, Put said demo on Kickstart.
(I'm resisting a south park "profit" joke here)
fourth, if kickstart is successful, use that money to pay the devs for the demo, and the production of the game.

That pretty much won't work, If you pick a developer at random he is likely to have 10-20 ideas of his own that he wants to work on (a team will usually have hundreds of ideas, noone is actually looking for more ideas for games to make), You need to give people a reason to work on your idea instead of their own ideas.

Try to answer these questions:

What do you bring to the table that makes it a better idea for a skilled developer to invest their time in your project rather than investing it in their own favourite project ? (time=money, asking a developer to spend a month working for you without guaranteed payment is no different than asking him to invest a months salary in your company)

If your idea is unique, why do you think noone has made something similar yet ? How big is the target audience ? How much does the game cost to develop ? (If you plan on using free labor you should still convert the time into money for this purpose), how likely are you to actually sell enough copies to cover the development costs ? (These are questions that has to be answered, you're asking people to invest in you).

And most importantly, if you yourself are unwilling to invest in your own project (By pushing in money or your own labor) what signals does that send to potential investors ? (as i said a few times now, a developer working without upfront payment is an investor).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Before we go on to any hypothetical steps after this step, let's acknowledge that step 1 is not only very difficult -- it's highly unlikely to happen.
If you can do step 1, then sure, the rest of your steps are reasonable. But step 1 is unreasonable.
It's an extremely common fallacy. "All I have to do is promise some people money, get them to believe me, and somehow motivate them to turn out a good result."
I don't know why so many people believe in this false idea.
For it to work, you'd have to be a very good con man.
Are you a very good con man?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have been developing games for years and I must say that the art to making a game is NOT about the features that you add. It is about what you can take away while still making the game fun/unique. You must remove precisely the right amount from your ideas to make the game a reality. This sort of skill is not easy and it takes years of experience to even begin to grasp. In addition you must know how to manage your time (and your developers time), how to prioritize, and a whole host of other things to be able to manage a game project.

Games are really complex systems where each piece must fit together like clockwork to have a solid title. You can not just throw a bunch of ideas and concepts together and think that you are anywhere close to being able to develop a game from it.

We are not trying to discourage you, but direct you towards more realistic expectations. Please do not try to obtain money for a title on kickstarter or try to convince a bunch of developers (if you could) to join your project when you are in absolutely no position to manage such a project. You need years of experience making more manageable games before you can even think of doing such a thing with any probability of success.
Now, I realized from the get go that this would be difficult, and was probably a long shot. If I were already friends with programmers, that would make this a lot easier, as then they could work on the project, and also could show me how to do a few things so I could contribute to the project. If I wanted to start teaching myself game design in my spare time, where would I start, and how would I go about doing that?

Is there a format to follow with a GDD? Or at least an example of one I could use as a template?

[Opens mouth to speak...]

Disregard that, I'm already about 5 pages into the GDD.[/quote]

[Closes mouth.]

Is there a way to show this to people to get opinions without the risk of it being stolen?
[/quote]

This is a legal question that's frequently discussed in the Business/Law forum. In brief: copyright your GDD, and get an NDA signed before showing it. But the foregoing notwithstanding, nobody's going to steal your idea.

If I wanted to start teaching myself game design in my spare time, where would I start, and how would I go about doing that?[/quote]

Read http://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm and http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson13.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to throw in the towel on this one, for the time being at the very least. I just don't have the time or resources to make it happen right now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement