What kind of post-secondary education; and what kind of jobs?

Started by
12 comments, last by elemein 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi, let me give you a bit of a backstory on me necessary to complete the question.

I am currently 15 yrs old and going into gr11 next year.

I have two plans. Plan A and Plan B, though Plan B is NOT there for failure, it's kinda like a 50%/50% kind of thing.

Anyway, here are my two life plans.

Plan A:
- Go to college for auto engineering and diesel
- Become something in automotives (I LOVE automotives)
- Get a house and etc.
- Live the usual life everyone else on land lives and work in automotives

Plan B:
- Go to college for diesel mechanics (1 or 2 yr college cert.)
- Spend the summer crewing for live-a-board cruising yachts to gain experience.
- Go to college for some kind of diploma/cert./adv diploma/degree in a vid-game related college course
- Purchase a sailing yacht
- Cruise the world, working from the boat in the gaming industry

Those are my two life plans; which I will go to will depend solely on the summer after my college diesel course. If I like crewing on a sailing yacht, then I'll take B, if not, then A.

Though I still need to know, I have two questions.

What kind of jobs in the gaming industry can I do working solely from home? (or well. Boat.)

What kind of college education will I need to get into it? (How many years of study? What area of study?)

Keep in mind, the job MUST be able to be done solely from home with Wi-Fi.

Thanks for ANY help!
Advertisement

What kind of jobs in the gaming industry can I do working solely from home? (or well. Boat.)

Realistically? It'd be an absolute miracle if you ever found a job in the gaming industry that let you work from home every day. The only way I know of that you can maybe do that is if you work for yourself making indie games (but if you do that, you should plan on being poor).

What kind of college education will I need to get into it? (How many years of study? What area of study?)

A bachelor's degree (4 years) in computer science is enough to get into the gaming industry as a programmer. Eventually getting a masters (2 more years) wouldn't be a bad idea though.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

[quote name='Sebastian Soeiro' timestamp='1340573154' post='4952438']

Realistically? It'd be an absolute miracle if you ever found a job in the gaming industry that let you work from home every day. The only way I know of that you can maybe do that is if you work for yourself making indie games (but if you do that, you should plan on being poor).

I don't really want to get into indie...

A bachelor's degree (4 years) in computer science is enough to get into the gaming industry as a programmer. Eventually getting a masters (2 more years) wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I don't really have a lot of money. 4 Years would be my limit. Also, I don't need to get into programming, I'd take any job, even if it's just being a Game Master for some MMO, I'm totally fine with that. I don't need wages to be a lot, I just need them to be above minimum (doesn't even need to be a lot above minimum.)
[/quote]

Did Sebastian say he wanted to be a programmer?

Sebastian, please read this forum's FAQ. Back out to the forum main page, and look for the FAQ link at upper right.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1340574195' post='4952443']

[/quote]
No, and I never said he did. He said he wanted to work "in the gaming industry." There's a lot of things he could do, one of which is being a programmer/software developer, and I can really only comment on being a programmer/software developer, which is what I did. He never mentioned he didn't want to be a programmer, however. If he wants to be/do something else, that's just fine, but I can't comment on those things, so I didn't. I wasn't implying he needed to be a programmer or that that was the only way to work "in the gaming industry."
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1340574195' post='4952443']

Sebastian, please read this forum's FAQ. Back out to the forum main page, and look for the FAQ link at upper right.
[/quote]

I did read some of them, but I didn't exactly see a "these jobs are most likely to be work-at-home jobs", so I don't know exactly what I'm looking into. That's why I'm asking which jobs would possibly be availible to be work at home. Thanks!

I did read some of them, but I didn't exactly see a "these jobs are most likely to be work-at-home jobs", so I don't know exactly what I'm looking into. That's why I'm asking which jobs would possibly be availible to be work at home. Thanks!

NONE of them are work-at-home jobs. FAQs 24 and 27 say that, and a couple others do also.

[quote name='Sebastian Soeiro' timestamp='1340588888' post='4952506']

NONE of them are work-at-home jobs. FAQs 24 and 27 say that, and a couple others do also.
[/quote]

Even just being a Game Master/Moderator for a MMO? I thought most of the folk who did those jobs were work at homes.

Even just being a Game Master/Moderator for a MMO? I thought most of the folk who did those jobs were work at homes.

I would like to hear more about that job, how much they're paid, how they found the job, how long they had to do the job without pay, stuff like that. I haven't seen that job listed in the industry salary survey yet...

[quote name='Sebastian Soeiro' timestamp='1340594422' post='4952532']

I would like to hear more about that job, how much they're paid, how they found the job, how long they had to do the job without pay, stuff like that. I haven't seen that job listed in the industry salary survey yet...
[/quote]

It isn't exactly a new job... You apply like you would any other job ; http://www.aeriagames.com/jobs
They basically look over the community of the MMO and help out with any issues... Kind of like a Customer Service and Community Steward...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement