So what would I need

Started by
15 comments, last by Ashleywlee 22 years, 6 months ago
I need a list of things I will need for creating an rpg Some things I already know i need are 1. C++ programming cd 2. books on programming in c++ 3. C++ compiler 4. An animation software 5. Books on animation software The things I have already decided on getting are 1. Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 2. Visual C++ 6.0 user guide What would I need for the animation and books? I have heard of starting small so what would I need for a small 2d game to start off with? I would like to thank you ahead of time so thank you.
Advertisement
Maybe you can look at the Books and Software section of this website for some great books on game programming. But for graphics software hmm.... I believe the Pros should be able to answer that, I''ll like to know as well.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
"So what do you need, besides a miracle?"
"Books, lots of books."
wwwoooooosshhhhh.... bookshelves stretching as far as the eye can see rush into view, containing every programming book out there....

Hehe... good ol'' matrix paradies... Okay, seriously, you need books, lots of books. The more you read, the more you understand. Programming is one of those few things that every book you get can teach you knew things.
Other than that practice is the only thing you truly need.
(yeah yeah... everybody going to flame and say I''m wrong now... but I''m more right than they think!)

--Drakonite
If ya wanna do good animation, get 3d Studio MAX 4, and use that animation package. if u know nothing about 3ds max, then start learning how to do basic 2D animation and work from there. it all depends on the detail and complexity u want in the animation. work from 2d, go to 3d then get even more complicated, with effects, like bump mapping, shadows, glows, etc. it also depends on the type of game and orinetation of that game. lots o factors, lots o fun. there''re tons of resources out there on the net for animation, just search stuff, get the major sites, then go more in depth.
A Free Modeler: http://www.blender.nl
Sure, it is hard to use at first, but you get used to it.

Graphics (my API of choice): http://nehe.gamedev.net
Graphics (that other API ): http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

Don''t ask which API is better, please; it just starts flame wars. Also, they''re not much use until you can already program.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Just FYI for people new to blender (yeah I know this is OT)
The mouse supports the keyboard. Not the other way around...

YAP-YFIO

-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

Actually you can do a lot with the mouse in Blender if you get used to its ''gestures''. A straight line for movement, an arc for rotation, something that looks like a ''6'' for scaling, et cetera. But, I agree, the keyboard is normally quicker .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Along the lines of the blender route I''d like to give all of you budding programmers some advice. I know that finances are a big issue with most of you. The cost of a few hundred dollar operating system, a few hundred dollar compiler, a several hundred dollar modeler, and hundreds of dollars in books make the entrance cost to programming quite high for the beginner. What I recommend is that one look into programming games on the GNU/Linux operating system.

Blender, as mentioned before, is a FREE modeler that works superbly well in linux. The GNU/Linux operating system is absolutely FREE (I use the debian distribution but I''d recommend Mandrake for newbies.) The compilers for the GNU/Linux OS are completely FREE as well (gcc and g++.) The openGL libraries are FREE (MesaGL.) There are FREE API''s such as SDL (Simple Direct Layer) which will handle sound, graphics, timers, semaphores, windowing basics, etc. These are GOOD packages that work great. SDL can be used with OpenGL. There are "make" utilities like automake that make installation of your program simple and easy which are of course FREE as well. Welcome to the world of OpenSource software. All of the api''s mentioned above come with licenses that allow you to include them in your closed source software as well, so you aren''t required to make your software open source.

There are several source code editors that are likewise, free. A few of these are vi/vim, and emacs. If you set up a linux box you can then set up the same machine as a source code repository using the FREE CVS (concurrent versioning system) software. This is a tool I highly recommend. It will make you MUCH more productive as a group. It can be used for storing data that is not source code as well, such as images, models, web pages, and design documents.

As you can see, developing games doesn''t have to be super expensive. If you develop your software correctly using the correct packages and staying away from operating system specific routines you can just as easily move your sourcecode to that other operating system with a minimal amount of porting. SDL and OpenGL are supported on BOTH windows and linux.

I just thought I''d let you all know that there are alternatives to spending all kinds of money on software, or warezing it. I prefer to spend my money on hardware and books.

Happy coding all,
Peace,
RandomTask
So then I need the following:
1. Visual C++ 6.0
2. Visual C++ books
3. Visual C++ compiler
4. 3d Studio Max 4
5. 3ds max books
6. Books on C++ game programming

This is mainly the stuff I was looking for an answer on. Thank you. Also would it be easier to get maybe a few people to help on graphics? Please reply.
So then I need the following:
1. Visual C++ 6.0
2. Visual C++ books
3. Visual C++ compiler
4. 3d Studio Max 4
5. 3ds max books
6. Books on C++ game programming

This is mainly the stuff I was looking for an answer on. Thank you. Also would it be easier to get maybe a few people to help on graphics? Please reply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement