Bidirectional Path Tracer Theory and Importance Sampling

Started by
9 comments, last by Bacterius 11 years, 9 months ago

Are you sure? Diffuse surfaces scatter light equally in all directions equally, but a single point scatters light with a cosine-weighted BRDF. When viewed from above, each point reflects strongly. When viewing at an angle, the reflectance is weaker by a factor of cos(theta), but there are more points per unit area by the same factor, so it appears the same reflectance. You get diagrams like: http://upload.wikime...d/Lambert2.gif. Am I missing something?

Actually, the diffuse BRDF is constant at 1/pi, the cos(theta) term is in fact universal, but you are right, I've been spending too much time around diffuse-only algorithms haha (where the diffuse PDF cancels out that term, so I forgot about it). But I think I've found out where you went wrong - you should be dividing by the PDF, not multiplying (obviously - if an event has a 0.01 probability of occuring, its contribution should be scaled by 1/0.01 = 100, not 0.01).

Did you read this? (slide 9)

To be fair I'm now confused. I had a lot of trouble understanding this in the past and it seems I've forgotten how it works, once again sad.png I will need to read over it later. Sorry...

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement