New User!

Started by
18 comments, last by YASSImaN 11 years, 8 months ago
Hi, im new and just one question what is the first thing i should do.Like should i make an mmo,rpg etc.
Advertisement

Hi, im new and just one question what is the first thing i should do.Like should i make an mmo,rpg etc.

We can't tell you what you want to make. You should tell us what your goals are and then we can suggest ways to achieve those goals. If you have a goal of making an MMO, then we would tell you that it will probably take years of effort before you have enough skill to pull off an MMO. If you have a goal of making an RPG, we would be less harsh in our responses. We would tell you that it would likely take a long time before you will know enough to make a RPG. They are less technically challenging than an MMO but if you wanted to make the next Skyrim you're still looking at a long road ahead of you.

Then there's the question of what role do you want to play in the game development process. Do you see yourself as an artist, level designer, programmer? Do you want to make indie games where one person can do most of the development themselves?

I suggest you think hard about what you actually want and then when you decide what you want we can help you figure out how to get there quicker.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Hi, and welcome.

Let me give you an analogy that's kinda like making an MMO: building the Burj Khalifa. It's been done before, yes, but it took a huge team of experts (not just people), millions of dollars, several years, etc. The people who built the Burj Khalifa built many buildings before they made that one. It was certainly not the first thing they did. They worked on smaller projects for years until they became experts, and only then could they successfully build the Burj Khalifa. And it wasn't just one person, or a small team who made it. MMOs (and most AAA games, for that matter) are much the same: they require a large team of experts, millions of dollars, a large time investment, etc.

Start small, and work your way up. You'll enjoy it more, you'll get things done you can put on a resume, and you'll be less likely to give up and quit. If you haven't made a game before, you'll be surprised at how difficult even a seemingly simple game can be.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Thanks for the advice,But at my age i have a long road ahead.The time and effort to make a game i got that to(maybe not the money).I just wanna have a feeling of what a real game developer does.The trial,error and reward, and yes im at the bare minium of being at the early stages of game developing.Still even if its making a very simple game what should be the first thing i should do as an indie developer to feel and know what it takes to be one!

Thanks for the advice,But at my age i have a long road ahead.The time and effort to make a game i got that to(maybe not the money).I just wanna have a feeling of what a real game developer does.The trial,error and reward, and yes im at the bare minium of being at the early stages of game developing.Still even if its making a very simple game what should be the first thing i should do as an indie developer to feel and know what it takes to be one!

That's cool, and that desire is a much needed key ingredient. I think if anyone is going to really suggest anything useful, you need to share a little bit more about yourself? How much do you know about making a game? Have you ever done any programming or game development? If so, what language are you working in, and what have you done so far? If not, picking a language and just starting is probably what you need to do. If you don't know what language you'd like to use, and if not I suggest you do a little googling (there are lots of people with lots of opinions that have been expressed on this site and others).

Specific questions are great 'cause it's easy to give specific answers.

And FWIW, what I said about MMOs and the Burj Khalifa is meant to point out that you shouldn't start with an MMO. It's certainly ok to have that be your future end goal, and you very well may achieve it down the road at some time. But start small. Very small. Make lots of simple games and experiment. That's the funnest part (for me) (the experimenting). The experience you gain from making one game (however simple it might seem) will help towards your next, more complex game.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Okay I know mmo's are advanced!I have been looking at c++ for a while now and found these really good Java tutorials, But idk maybe its just me but to me I really love C++.No I have'nt really made a game unless playing around with opensource game engines counts.
I think anyone just starting out should start simple, just writing something such as pong or breakout is an achivement.
But where should I start if lets say I had the basics of C++ down and i didnt know anything about game development.
Pick a simple game. Then make it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I am also a beginner and I am starting out with C#/XNA they are beginner friendly and are easy to learn so far... As for my first game I am starting with Pong than will eventually try Tetris after thoughs want to move onto a 2d side scroller like Mario bros =] gl with whatever you choose to do =]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement