Original Post
This is an old game, so there might have been a post written somewhere about this, but I've stumbled upon this and I find it rather ridiculous. So it seems RollerCoaster Tycoon was one of the last commercial games to have been written by a single programmer... and in assembly!
Chris Sawyer originally wanted to create a sequel to his highly successful Transport Tycoon, but after becoming obsessed with roller coasters, he changed the project into RollerCoaster Tycoon. Sawyer wrote RollerCoaster Tycoon almost entirely in assembly language, a difficult process given the game's complexity. Some functions were written in C to interface with the Windows operating system.[1]
The game was to be called White Knuckle for the majority of the game's development. However, to follow the tradition of the Tycoon titles, the game was renamed accordingly.
For his efforts, Sawyer received over $30 million of the $180 million brought in by the highly popular game.
A feature length movie adaptation is set to begin production, as Sony Pictures Animation has pre-emptively picked up rights to the video game. Harald Zwart is spearheading the development of the big-screen adaptation as a possible directing project and will executive produce. David Ronn and Jay Scherick are attached to write what will be a live-action/CGI hybrid.[2][3] Chris Sawyer is represented by London based interactive rights agency, Marjacq Micro Ltd.
[/quote]
I mean this is really impressive. I wrote a generic number sort in Assembly as part of an assessment in my early days of CS in school and I took the whole experience as one unpleasant ride into hell. I can't imagine writing a whole game. I just thought I'd share this here. Have any of you written anything serious in assembly?
Source :
http://en.wikipedia...._Tycoon#History