Settlers of Catan Game Project I am Thinking About

Started by
3 comments, last by Lancert 11 years, 8 months ago
I was thinking of doing a little project for myself where I would write the Settlers of Catan game in C++. This is to practice a few separate things:

- first of all, C++ itself. I never got really familiar with it, and I am a horrible book reader. I work much better when I have a project in mind;
- second of all, 2D graphics. I would like to use DirectX here, because that is what is used in the gaming industry most of the time;
- third of all, networking, i.e., the online multiplayer.

The Settlers of Catan game has enough small problems in it to make it interesting to program, and it doesn't require too much work in terms of drawing things, so I could get away with sloppy bitmap images for my pictures.

The program structure part of it all is hardly a problem for me. I have already written a Settlers of Catan game in a different language (although I'd prefer to design it much differently this time around), this is more of an issue of doing it in C++.

One of my concerns is the Settlers of Catan license. We made a game after theirs in class no problem, except we called it something else, but I'm not sure if that's actually allowed. There are no commercial plans for this project; rather, I'd like to have it open source and show my friends the steps I went through in making it. I'd also like to use it for my resume. So it would be relatively public.

Another concern is DirectX. Does Microsoft permit free use of DirectX for non-commercial purposes? Can I just download the SDK and use it? Does that extend to DirectX 11? Do I use Direct3D or Direct2D for what are going to be 2D graphics?
Advertisement
Be careful not to mess too much with an IP. But if you're only going to use it for your own endevours and not commercialize it, then nobody cares. Just as long as you don't claim the IP and say that Settlers of Catan was your idea lol.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

One of my concerns is the Settlers of Catan license. We made a game after theirs in class no problem, except we called it something else, but I'm not sure if that's actually allowed. There are no commercial plans for this project; rather, I'd like to have it open source and show my friends the steps I went through in making it. I'd also like to use it for my resume. So it would be relatively public.

Generally if you don't try to make money off it; they leave you alone. There are of course exceptions to that rule. The reality is, in order to keep their trademarks, they have to actively defend them, so to a certain degree, they have a legal requirement to go after you. That said, calling it Meddlers of Satan for example, and changing the graphics, you will be fine, especially if you stay non-commercial.

Another concern is DirectX. Does Microsoft permit free use of DirectX for non-commercial purposes? Can I just download the SDK and use it? Does that extend to DirectX 11? Do I use Direct3D or Direct2D for what are going to be 2D graphics?
[/quote]
Yes, yes, yes, depends*.

*depends == Direct2D doesn't work on Windows XP. That said, Direct3D is overkill. I would generally recommend you check out a higher level 2D library like SFML, SDL or Allegro.
I personally recommend SFML as it's, you known, simple and fast tongue.png... if you have interest I can show a project I am working on using SFML and you will see what I am talking about!

I am curious about the networking part. I tried myself to do a similar game with 4 player multiplayer option but I quit at a certain point. Do you have all the scope defined (regarding multiplayer) ?
I am curious about the networking part. I tried myself to do a similar game with 4 player multiplayer option but I quit at a certain point. Do you have all the scope defined (regarding multiplayer) ?
Not really. Networking is something I have never actually touched (besides some networking classes which were at a very low level), which is why I wanted to do it. It's sort of lower on the priority list, though.

The game doesn't really function with something of that sort, though. The game we wrote in class worked like Heroes of Might and Magic hotseat. ;) The other alternative is writing AI, haha. Which could be interesting in itself.

I will take a look at those other libraries, thanks. I don't orient well in C++ libraries for some reason.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement