Game Development

Started by
12 comments, last by Luca Mid 11 years, 8 months ago
[font=georgia, serif]Hello,[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]I am totally new to this forum.[/font]
[font="georgia, serif"]My passion is gaming. And my favorite genre is RPG.[/font]
[font="georgia, serif"]After my graduation I am planing to pursue game designing as my PG course, but for every university i tried is asking for a portfolio.[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]I read a lot of books related to Game Designing and I have a basic knowledge about importance of design documents etc.[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]Now i have to start making a 3D RPG game, as if my portfolio is impressive I have a good chance of cracking a scholarship also.[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]I know languages:[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]C#[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]C++[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]Javas[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]javaScript[/font]
[font=georgia, serif]J2ME[/font]

How, where and what to start first?

Thank you
Advertisement
Read this

Beyond that, learn to focus; a deep understanding of a few languages is better than a shallow understanding of a ton. Otherwise it's all about experience at this point, pick a project and get to it. The next step will come naturally as you encounter things you need to learn to succeed.
Hi,

It sounds to me as though you are in a very good position to rip open the knowledge of an existing game engine to learn it, should you choose that path. Game structure and so forth is what you need and get a grip on game making programs which are customizeable, in my opinion. The things that I write here will generally allow you to use your scripting skills and get an understanding of how your skills are applied to making a game.

How are your art skills or do you want to express art through programming? Knowing the proportion of importance between gameplay features and the art aspects will be crucial, I feel, and these should guide your choices. Some games have the gameplay area occupy most of the labor hours, whereas some others take huge hours in the art area. Some are a balance of the two. It's important to be aware of this, as you probably know already.

3Ddreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

If you never made games before, try making some 2D games first, if you already know C++, this is a good place to start http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php simple tutorials teaching you how to use a 2D graphics library called SDL
You could join the development of an indie game. It's a better solution I think than starting your own game when you don't have inspiration and you're a beginner.

You could join the development of an indie game. It's a better solution I think than starting your own game when you don't have inspiration and you're a beginner.

join as in?
Thanks guys for your replies.
But these stuff i know by reading books.
I want some practical help.
I want to know about GameDesign Document etc.
This will make my portfolio, its important to me

thanks
What do you want to know about writing a Games Design Document?

There's plenty of free articles regarding that on the web, as well as things like the Doom Bible.
join as in?

Yes. Join an indie-game team. My recommendations to search for a one at the Classifields>Hobbyist Projects on this forum or on http://indie-resourc...wforum.php?f=17 (a good site for indie-devs).

Thanks guys for your replies.
But these stuff i know by reading books.
I want some practical help.
I want to know about GameDesign Document etc.
This will make my portfolio, its important to me

See what I'm saying? Everybody on these forums always assumes everybody who comes here needs to learn programming.
Slayer, I'm moving this to another forum. I'm moving it to Game Design since you're asking about GDDs (although it might also belong properly in Breaking In).
There's info about GDDs and game design here and here, and there are more links on both those pages (to sample GDDs and other good sites on game design).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement