Affecting a transparent object with lights in a deferred renderer

Started by
0 comments, last by AmzBee 11 years, 7 months ago
I implemented a tile-based light culling renderer using the compute shader as in the ATI sample with the puppets and the dagon(i think it was called Leo).While alpha clipping is simple to implement,the alpha blending seems impossible to do without some huge performance or quality penalty.If you render the gbuffer stuff and then render/blend transperent stuff over it with a forward render,it would look weird and out of place.It won't be affected by the hundreds of lights that you use in the deferred renderer(which means your coolest feature(getting something lighted by a lot of lights at once) won't work on glasses,windows,crystals,water and stuff like that).What are efficient ways to implement alpha blending inside your deferred renderer?
Advertisement
I came across this little nugget of a problem a while ago, and while my solution is not the best, it certainly works. I do indeed use the forward pass to draw translucent objects, however using the depth information from the GBuffer and a little shader code, I preform a manual depth test and cull any pixels that are occluded. Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Aimee

We are now on Tumblr, so please come and check out our site!

http://xpod-games.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement