Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Retro Games

Started by cristycs Sep 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM 3 replies 2k views
Original Post
cristycs
cristycs
Hello guys, I'm Chris and I need to make a decision, I am a decent story writer, and a decent pixel artist, I love retro games and love 8/16bit music(
or /watch?v=m4V3FJHTNHc something to listen while you read the post biggrin.png), and want to give my stories a new life, I am looking for a good powerful 2D - 2.5D game engine with maybe multiplayer support, I am looking at games like Ninja Gaiden, Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu NES, Dragon Ball Z - Advanced Adventure GBA, Metal Slug Neo-geo.... to Maplestory(not including the grindfest) and want to make something with the same feel, no grindfest, just plain fun with a good story, and good art. I know is a long process but I don't want to make a wrong decision from the start. I have been looking at game engines at http://content.gpwik...hp/Game_Engines and I don't know what is the best one for what I want. Any suggestions will be appreciated. THX and have a nice day.

PS: I have used Unity3d a bit and know C,C++,C#,Python and javascript at a basic/beginner level.
Haps
Haps
I've seen C#/XNA used for quite a few one-or-two-man retro games. XNA was also used for Terraria, and A.R.E.S.

That's a framework though, not an engine, so you'd have to put your own work into it but at least it's versatile enough to give you the features you might want.
cristycs
cristycs
XNA looks like a good option. Thx.
Goran Milovanovic
Goran Milovanovic
You might want to give the Blender Game Engine a try.

It's a full fledged 3D engine that utilizes the Bullet physics library, but it can be used for "retro" games. I know of a guy who goes by SolarLune, who is using for exactly that. Watch some of his devlogs: clicky.

You can watch my video tutorials to figure out the basics of the system: clicky.

There's also a more advanced series that utilizes python (you can find the playlist on my channel).

Lack Python experience? Here's a video video tutorial series to help you out: clicky.
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Game Dev video tutorials  ->   http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +-------------------------------------
Panda38
Panda38
Maybe you could try Gemtree Peter programming tool (sorry for spam - it's my creation). It allows easy creation of 2D and 3D games for Windows and is fully Freeware. http://peter.hostuju.cz/
petr2.jpg

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.