Wondering if the music I've been making is "video game" music.

Started by
9 comments, last by nsmadsen 11 years, 7 months ago
Hey Guys,

I have been recording/producing music for the past 10 years, and the feedback I have received the most is this. "It sounds like a video game bro." I have always taken this as a compliment as I love video games and there music. But it has recently gotten me thinking that I should produce a soundtrack for a video game. I would love to do just that.

haha anyways here is a link to a variety of different music I have recorded. If anyone feels like it I would love any feedback. Should I try and pursue the idea of working in gaming?

http://soundcloud.com/goldan/sets/music-for-the-perfect-game

I think I am going to give it a shot, though really any ideas on how to go about it or any criticism whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Advertisement
Hello,

Check out this stickied thread!

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Hello,

Check out this stickied thread!

Cheers,
Moritz

Haha I totally read that sticky before I made this post! Though I didn't really think it applied to me. Lol though thinking about it now I guess it might! Maybe I should reiterate.

Does my music sound good to you? Would you use it in a video game?
Hey,

Thanks for sharing your work. I think your music has promise but the production of your tracks is pretty lacking right now. Here's what I think is hurting your tracks: (this list comes from sampling all of your music and might not fully apply to every track you've shared)

- everything is panned center

- dynamics are very static

- texture of the music (i.e. what insturments are playing when) is very static

- tempo(s) are consistent throughout the music

- the mix itself is sometimes tiring on the ear. For example your first track (10 Percent) uses trumpets that got tiring to my ears after a while.

- do the A/B comparison mentioned in the stickied thread to gauge where your tracks are hitting the mark and where they're not.

(note: these are just suggestions. You don't have to do all to each track, in fact it would probably be a mistake to do so. Instead consider each track individually and what might make it better.)

AA1 feels a bit better and has a bit more development and pacing. No Enough Qi is much better, it feels better produced. Are these loops? Not every video game track needs tempo changes or tons of textural changes but look for ways you can make your music have more evolution. Since games are interactive, the player could be hearing this track for a while and you want them to enjoy it, not mute it! smile.png

But to answer your question if you should make a go at doing video game music or not - GO FOR IT! Just because you have some things to improve on doesn't mean you shouldn't try to land some projects now. If you find a client that likes (and needs) your sound and approach for music, great! Then you'll be able to learn some of the ins and outs of game dev and start listing some projects on your resume.

Just remember that music (audio) production is very much a life long pursuit. You'll always be refining, learning and stretching your methods and workflow. I know I am! smile.png

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hey Nate.

I definitely did not expect such a detailed response! Thanks a lot bro. I really hear all your criticism. I will definitely keep the things you've mentioned in mind. I definitely still feel like I am learning, though that might never change. Which is cool to know. That I will always be moving forward.

And I have decided to definitely give it a shot. I am not sure how easy it would be to find anyone who wants to use my music so I am just going to use it for now in a small game I am working on myself. And who knows what the future has!!

Thanks again,

nick

PS I didn't use any samples. Other then the chanting at the beginning of O, Ami.
The first couple are good RPG tracks.

You should defiantly give it a shot. Some indie developers, such as me, would hire a composer if they went commercial, as they're composing illiterate.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

Some indie developers, such as me, would hire a composer if they went commercial, as they're composing illiterate.

What does this mean?

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I would definitely give any music I've made for free. I'd even make a custom soundtrack for free. I am just really wanting to do it.

[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1348499749' post='4983241']
Some indie developers, such as me, would hire a composer if they went commercial, as they're composing illiterate.

What does this mean?
[/quote]It means I don't know how to make music. So I'd get someone who does.

Goldan I may use "AA1" in my Perl & SDL RPG. If thats okay with you, I see you released that music under Creative Commons.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

[quote name='nsmadsen' timestamp='1348507663' post='4983270']
[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1348499749' post='4983241']

What does this mean?
[/quote]It means I don't know how to make music. So I'd get someone who does.

Goldan I may use "AA1" in my Perl & SDL RPG. If thats okay with you, I see you released that music under Creative Commons.
[/quote]

Sounds awesome man!! All my music is creative commons. :D Send me a copy if you do end up using it, I'd love to check it out. nikkmitchell@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement