Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Episode 1 of Game Programming, a Video Series

Started by Cherno Oct 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM 4 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
Cherno
Cherno
A new daily series that I'm starting on YouTube, on how to make a game from scratch in Java, a game similar to Realm of the Mad God.
I'll just leave Episode 1 here:



Your feedback is greatly appreciated. What I want to start doing, is getting your input on where this game goes. Thanks a bunch, Cherno out.
jbadams
jbadams
Moving you to Your Announcements.
- Jason Astle-Adams
EngineProgrammer
EngineProgrammer
I've never programmed in java but I don't think that will be the point with my opinion.

It's not smart to pick a 'random' resolution. In C++ the function 'ChangeDisplayMode" returns false at random resolutions that doesn't exist.
When the gamer goes to options he might want to change the resolution. So give him known ones(640*480, 1024*768, 1280*720, etc)
link: http://en.wikipedia....play_resolution (scroll down a bit)

I mostly use 640*480 to start my projects with. When I create a game I'm trying to get around 1360*768. And then adjust my resolution to a "fullscreen" window for the gamer.
And 3-5 minutes each video? You have written 5 lines of code now so maybe go a little bit faster, or make the video much longer? laugh.png


~EngineProgrammer
Daaark
Daaark
Just in passing, 640x480 is no longer supported on a lot of newer displays, and OSes!
Vodahmin
Vodahmin
I think the quality of the video is high - both in technical terms and the way you explain things. For some reason though, it felt to me like you focused on explaining the Java syntax and conventions than actually presenting some general concepts about the game development.

Also, it took you 11 minutes to present a three lines of actual code. I think it'd be wise to speed up a lot - perhaps making each video not 3 but 30 minutes long.

Other than that, I enjoyed the video. Good luck!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.