Looking for game creator tool kit

Started by
2 comments, last by BuFFo 11 years, 6 months ago
I'll keep this brief as to not bore anyone...

I am normally a game designer and artist, but for once I actually want to just create my own game.

I am looking for a program, such as the old RPG Makers on the playstation, which basically gives you the frame work to make a game for non programmers. You basically just reskin and edit everything to suit the needs of your game.

Here is a list of "wants" I would like to have;

1) Simple 3D world.
2) Online MMO type capabilities

Also, on a side note, I would like to find the same thing but for 2D sprite based isometric/top down view games.

This is just for me to fool around and get some ideas off the ground. Nothing grand, nothing fancy.... I do NOT program at all. I just draw stuff :)

- Diego
Advertisement
You want to look at some 3D engines and see if they can do what you want vs the amount of konwledge needed to create what you want. You probably wont come away without programming at all though.

Unity3D is your best bet. Most likely you will still need to program in languages like C# or javascript but the engine itself is pretty user friendly while still very much in control of what you want.

Another choice is game creator, but i believe the engine is fairly limiting on what you can do. It might be perfect to what you want though.

UDK is another very powerfull engine. You can do most of the things in a tool called kismet, here you can "program" visually by linking different kinds of actors and things together. You might want to watch the video tutorials by 3Dbuzz, they have a ton.
Take a look at "how to make video games without programming" and "more ways to make games without programming".

For your 3d MMO you probably want to look at Realm Crafter, or if you're willing to learn some programming you could try Hero Engine or BigWorld Tech. Unity or UDK would also be viable choices, but they require programming and aren't geared towards MMO projects.

For a 2d sprite-based game you might like Construct 2, Game Maker, Stencyl, or RPG Maker.

An MMO is a difficult project. You might be able to come up with some sort of online game-play, but a high-quality MMO is probably beyond your reach without at least some programming.

Hope that's helpful! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

I am not above learning how to do basic programming to get some things done, but I will check out those links you chps have given me.

Very friendly and helpful, thank you :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement