Code signing error trying to deploy to my iPad

Started by
3 comments, last by Madhed 11 years, 5 months ago
Hey, i'm totally new to iOS development and cannot for the life of me get a "Hello, World" app that builds fine to the simulator, to build and deploy to an actual device. I'm getting this error:

"Code Sign error: A valid provisioning profile matching the application's Identifier 'com.myfakecompany.testo' could not be found"

Here's what I have done:

1. Paid $100 to Apple.
  2. generated a Apple Developer Certificate. Don't really understand what this means, but followed the instructions, and I think it worked. My Keychain Access program thingie shows an item for the certificate like iPhone Developer: John Doe (AB12C3BLAH) with an item like iOS Developer: John Doe (John Doe) below it in the tree view. When I click on the lower item it says "certificate is valid"
  3. From Apple's provisioning portal, created an App ID for 'com.myfakecompany.testo'.
  4. From the provisioning portal, created a Development provisioning profile with this app ID.
  5. Downloaded the above and dragged this file into XCode's Organizer window into the item for provisioning profiles for my iPad. This all seems like it worked, in the listview in Organizer I see an item form the provisioning profile with App ID like <10-char rand alphanumeric string>.com.myfakecompany.testo that has a green check mark next to it.
  6. Entered com.myfakecompany.testo into my XCode project in two places, as the Bundle ID in the Info.plist file and as the Bundle ID in the project 'info' tab.
  7. Set all the Code Signing Identity preferences in the build settings of the project to "iPhone Developer: John Doe (AB12C3BLAH)"

Does anyone see anything wrong with the above? Also if I can't get this to work, can someone suggest a fairly up-to-date tutorial that goes from zilch to deploying a "Hello World" app on a device, specifying the source code and everything, because I may have to just start from scratch.
Advertisement
[s]Did you install the provisioning profile on the ipad?[/s] Edit: I see, you did.

I also encountered a nasty bug lately: Make sure there are no .DS_Store files in your app as they can screw up the code signing process.
No .DS_Dtore files that I can see.

One thing I notice which may be weird ... in the Organizer/Devices/Provisioning Profiles view for my iPad. I have one profile visible as described above. This profile has "Unknown" in the "Team" column. Is that wrong?

EDIT: Actually there is another clue I forgot to mention: In the build settings my signing identity shows up under "Identities without provisioning profiles".
I fixed it ... the only thing I had to do was in Organizer/Devices/LIBRARY/Provisioning Profiles press the refresh button. That fixed everything.

So ... wow ... that was retardedly more difficult to figure out than it needed to be. All that was needed was a meaningful error message or warning ... "
Oh good to hear. Yeah the whole signing process can sometimes be a real PITA. Expect more insanity to follow. wink.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement