Decently experienced programmer, but relatively new to the game development environment

Started by
1 comment, last by BMO 11 years, 4 months ago
Hiya, all. Pretty much all my programming experience has involved C++ and Python. I have just recently played with Pygame creating breakout and very simple platform game. I am honestly researching everyday on what thing to learn and keep getting at a stand still.
Honestly my list is crazy as to what I want to learn.
Just recently, I am starting to work with SDL which I will later move onto OpenGL as I have already gotten OpenGL Super bible, but using SDL as a way to feel comfortable with C++ again.
I have gotten stuck as to what to really learn. I am really interested in HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, embedded programming for games iPhone, Android, etc., learning math behind 3D graphics as "core", I have decent understanding of 2D graphics, but I am refreshing myself every now and then. The thing is I really don't know much about 3D graphics so I have been sticking with 2D for now, but i want to convince myself to do more. So far I have stuck with Python and starting C++, but there are so many other places I can make games for like embedded systems, desktop, HTML, flash, etc. I have checked out cocos2D for HTML and a bunch of other stuff which can go for embedded systems and what not.
Where do I start, what do I pick? So, my many hours of research looking up these things seems to put me into an infinite loop to where I can never leave my game. I am simply looking for a a way out. I have not listed all the things I have looked into just to spare my own sanity I will leave what I have listed.

I have also looked into engines, but I feel I am still interested in learning stuff and engines hide a lot of the learning from me, although it does teach value in learning how to use an engine along with simple understanding of 3D graphics.

while ( stuck_in_my_own_insanity == TRUE)
{
me.Research();
//stuck_in_my_own_insanity = FALSE
// ^^^ Please someone help uncomment it
}

Just a fun thing to show I need a nice path to follow.
Advertisement
Think about what you want to accomplish. A 2D game? A 3D game? A nice and correct website? A mobile game? The point is that you should not make a product (in this case, a game) for sake of programming, but program for sake of a product. Once you know which product you want to make, you start researching how to do it.

This does not contradict the "path is important" philosophy of hobby programming: you need a goal in order to see a path to it.

Pick a goal. And have fun!
Udacity has a couple of courses starting in the first part of 2013 that might be of interest to you. I'm signed up for both. Udacity has been the best learning experience for programming I've had yet. And best of all, the courses are free.

HTML5 Game Development - Building High Performance Web Applications
Interactive Rendering - Introduction to 3D Computer Graphics

http://www.udacity.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement