Original Post
From one of my CS classes here at UT in Austin:
quote:Basically this project involves adding hardware to an existing x86 or MIPS processor to speed up whatever algorithm is chosen. Now, none of the 5 listed topics really interest me, but I was thinking that any software rendering algorithm would also qualify as a "multimedia" algorithm. (I don''t think anything having to do with transformation or rasterization of polygons would be acceptable, since that stuff is all done in hardware already.) My ideas so far: - ray-tracing - voxels - any rendering that outputs polygons to give to 3D hardware (I suppose voxels are an example of this) Note that ray-tracing and voxels are pretty broad topics... what I actually need is a specific algorithm, i.e., something you implement in a page or two of C code. So, any suggestions? p.s. I don''t know a damn thing about how computer processors work. If any of you know why my university is having CS majors make feeble attempts at hardware design, please let me know.
You are an employee at a company that designs microprocessors. You are handed a "multimedia" algorithm and told that it is running much too slowly on the current hardware. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to develop hardware that will increase the performance of this algorithm and then present your design and analysis in a persuasive fashion. "What is a "multimedia" algorithm?", you ask. Examples: - audio or video compression - audio or video encoding - audio or video filtering - voice recognition - speech synthesis