Do you believe it's okay to use type-casting with enums?

Started by
4 comments, last by Waterlimon 11 years, 4 months ago

Recently, I've been using an enumeration called "tileType" when I load my map from a file. The file contains an array of numbers, so when I load a number I have to explicit type-cast it to the type "tileType" before I can load it into the Tow-Dimensional vector I use to keep my map's values. Is this okay? There's no other way unless I make a very specific switch statement, which would completely break if I changed anything the slightest bit, which wouldn't work.

What do you think? Sorry for the little information, I had to finish up quickly. Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement
So long as the number corresponds to an actual value in the enum, it's safe. If you want to be pedantic you could switch on the integer (not the casted enumerated type), and have cases for the enumeration values (and a default case to catch invalid values) (at least I think this would be a viable option in your case; it's hard to tell without more info).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
How good it is and what other options you might have depend on factors like what the enum is supposed to represent, whether or not non-enumerated enum values are valid (such as with a bit flag enum), whether or not the file being loaded is text or binary, what language you are using and so on.

Should be ok as long as you explicitly give each enum value a number, and then dont reuse that value later if you remove an enum. You want to make sure what you saved will always be loaded as what it is, or not at all if it's deprecated.

If the enumerated values are all sequential then you could just do a range check if you're concerned about getting bad values from the file.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
If youre worried about the values for some reason not matching you could make ab array of lenght x that contains enum values. So you can use that to convert them back and forth, ans can decide what enum corresponds to what integer.

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement