Fun Background-Noise?

Started by
13 comments, last by Paul Franzen 11 years, 4 months ago

What do you listen to while you program (If you listen to anything).

I'm currently loving Pandora, Pod-casts, and Ted Talks I love Pandora because I select a band I like and it will show me all kinds of new songs and bands that I've never heard of. Almost everything it recommends is amazing and I love it.

Pod-Casts are harder to follow whenever I get caught up in programming, however when I can pay attention to them they're great. I'm enjoying "This Developers Life" as of now, however I also am trying to listen to other Pod-casts.

Ted-Talks I'll put in a window next to Aptana Studio and listen too while I program with HTML/CSS because it's impossible to follow when I'm caught up in C++.

What do you listen too, or watch? I'm curioius :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement

generally pandora for me, however i haven't had a decent pair of headphones for awhile(the ipod ones i have hurt my ears after 10-20 minutes), and i don't know why, but i can't enjoy music if it's coming from my computer speakers.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I either listen to vocal trance (I like the digitally imported webradio) or to some TV shows I downloaded the day before - or just rerun old ones, bandwidth permitting. Though I haven't programmed in a while, since I'd like to enjoy the holidays for once smile.png

Sometimes just silence, though that usually only happens when I am really busy and forget to turn the music on!

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I usually go for Yann Tiersen, Edith Piaf, Björk, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, or anything Jazz-ish on my playlist. Obviously on a decent low volume so I can concentrate. The Tiger Lillies or Sinéad O'Connor are good choices too. Metallica, Metal Lucifer, Massive Attack or Testament work as well. It really depends on the coding. There's just a time when I neither pay attention to what I'm doing nor what I'm listening.

Mostly videogame music, particularly the Nier OST, the Cave Story OST, the Shadow of the Colossus OST, the Chrono Trigger OST, OCRemix stuff, and stuff from composers that I like such as Goniochromism, sevenee, Flashygoodness, and Disasterpeace.

I also like having the Mega64 podcast on my second monitor but sometimes it distracts me a lot. Totally worth it though.

Mostly videogame music, particularly the Nier OST, the Cave Story OST, the Shadow of the Colossus OST, the Chrono Trigger OST, OCRemix stuff, and stuff from composers that I like such as Goniochromism, sevenee, Flashygoodness, and Disasterpeace.

I also like having the Mega64 podcast on my second monitor but sometimes it distracts me a lot. Totally worth it though.

I also love listenign to video game music when i program but not always
morrowind/halo2 soundtracks are my favorites smile.png

otherwise i listen to nothing or some white noise if other people are around

I listen to video game music (OC Remixes of Zelda, Star Fox, Final Fantasy), worship music (Misty Edwards or others), or just violin/salsa/guitar.

Sometimes I listen to the music a composer made for my own game, to get me in an inspirational mood.

In most situations, the music is background noise that could be a single 30 second clip on repeat for three hours before I realize it. laugh.png

generally pandora for me, however i haven't had a decent pair of headphones for awhile(the ipod ones i have hurt my ears after 10-20 minutes), and i don't know why, but i can't enjoy music if it's coming from my computer speakers.

I don't have quite the ear others have for music, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I like JVC Gummy-brand headphones. Relatively inexpensive ($8.50~), and they last longer then the cheap $0.99 headphones, and they don't hurt my ears like some others do. They last me about 3-5 months each, and this is with wear and tear of multiple people grabbing them off one computer to use for another, and their being in nigh-continuous use every day - so you may get longer lifetimes out of yours. I buy 2-3 at a time, and at $8.50 or so and lasting three months apiece, that's about $3 a month for headphones that actually work (as opposed to having to buy multiple sets of $0.99 or higher headphones that are broken out of the box).

But, as mentioned already, I don't have the ear to really discern the difference in audio quality that others might require.

I listen to video game music (OC Remixes of Zelda, Star Fox, Final Fantasy), worship music (Misty Edwards or others), or just violin/salsa/guitar.

Sometimes I listen to the music a composer made for my own game, to get me in an inspirational mood.

In most situations, the music is background noise that could be a single 30 second clip on repeat for three hours before I realize it. laugh.png

I don't have quite the ear others have for music, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I like JVC Gummy-brand headphones. Relatively inexpensive ($8.50~), and they last longer then the cheap $0.99 headphones, and they don't hurt my ears like some others do. They last me about 3-5 months each, and this is with wear and tear of multiple people grabbing them off one computer to use for another, and their being in nigh-continuous use every day - so you may get longer lifetimes out of yours. I buy 2-3 at a time, and at $8.50 or so and lasting three months apiece, that's about $3 a month for headphones that actually work (as opposed to having to buy multiple sets of $0.99 or higher headphones that are broken out of the box).

But, as mentioned already, I don't have the ear to really discern the difference in audio quality that others might require.

o, i don't really have an ear for music like that either, any sort of headphones work for me(except the shit ipod ones, again hurt my ears), and it's not that i haven't had headphones, it's just i have 5 dogs, and every now and then, they tear up my headphones because the table i left them on is low enough for them to grab(don't think they are untrained, it's rare when it happens, but it does sometimes happen, and is why i don't have headphones atm.)

it's not that i can't enjoy music from speakers, just for some odd reason i can't really get into programming if it's coming through speakers.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Sometimes, when I've had enough coffe, metal and punk rock. biggrin.png Otherwise, mostly Liquid/Ambient Drum and bass and other rather chilled out stuff.

Netsky, LM1, DJ Shadow, Xilent, Air, Doves, Solar fields, ...

Pandora. When I want to be really productive, I listen to my Deadmau5 channel (it's not my favoritist music in the world, but it does a great job at creating a droning ambience that stops my brain from thinking about tangential things). I mostly listen to my Imagine Dragons, Hans Zimmer, I Will Follow You Into the Dark, or Breaking Benjamin stations, though. Or I put it on shuffle to mix in my other ~25 stations for a healthy mix of music.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement