Allegro

Started by
11 comments, last by ggsam 22 years, 6 months ago
Hello anyone using allegro here?? :-)
Advertisement
I hate to upset you, but allegro for the most part is a pain to code and is also becoming a thing of the past anyway. Feel free to disagree but these days if you want to make a serious 3D game then go with OpenGL or DirectX. Not many allegro programmers around here.

~Vendayan
"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. He will surely attempt to disarm you as well"~Vendayan
Do I really need to start with 3d programming at fisrt? I fell 2d programming is much easier to grab basically
besides allegro is now ported to windows base on directX :-)
Hehe, sorry. I assumed you were asking about 3D gaming programmers. Although I still feel that DirectX or OpenGL would be easiest to work with even for 2D games.
"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. He will surely attempt to disarm you as well"~Vendayan
Allegro yeah I did some allegro programming for a year or so great lib for djgpp and dos. But in the end when I switched from dos/allegro programming to the world of win32/Directx it kinda held me up. It was like why am I making all there routines for ploting pixels, sprites, sound,etc when ive got allegro? As far as the port to windows well its kinda nice but why? I mean why not just learn the directx api its runs over? You''ll learn alot more then you will if you just use allegro and call functions.

Well... Maybe Allegro isn''t the best of the developer tools but it''s far more entertaining to develope in than DirectX. None of that Blah-Blah code to worry about. I''m more interested in developing GAMES than developing CODE, and Allegro allows me to do just that.
I use allegro! but thats just because it''s all i can afford

__
Tsu
True if you dont care about learning how the technology behind allegro works and just want to make games allegro is good. But if you want to understand how and why things work I would say go for directx of opengl. Youll learn alot more and when you get stuck by something you want to do but cant in allegro youll know how to make a routine to do it.
While I''m getting into OpenGL, I still say and probably will always say that Allegro is one of the best librarys out there.

Sure, no 3D, but its not a 3D library.
Allegro can do 3D stuff... just not very well...
But yeah, if your looking to get into 3D games, then i suggest DirectX... if your looking to learn how to program games (the way i did), i suggest allegro, because it''s free.

__
Tsu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement