Weird direct3d error.

Started by
9 comments, last by Zook 22 years, 6 months ago
I have made a d3d program with VC++ 5.0 in Win ME. It works fine, but when I try to run it under Win 2000 on the same computer I get an E_OUTOFMEMORY error when trying to create the d3d device. Does anybody know what causes this problem? I have directx 8.0a installed on both systems.
Advertisement
I''m beginning to think that playing games with Win2000 (spits) is like trying to play monopoly with a 4 year old.

~Vendayan
"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. He will surely attempt to disarm you as well"~Vendayan
quote:Original post by Vendayan
I''m beginning to think that playing games with Win2000 (spits) is like trying to play monopoly with a 4 year old.

hey, _I_ played monopoly (quite well) when i was 4!
2000 has always treated me very well...

Between the systems, are the graphics cards the same or at least very similar? It''s possible that you are asking for more than the card can give you. This doesn''t like a 2000 issue.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
That error is not weird at all, it means that you are out of system memory, duh. How much RAM does the system have anyway?, Note that Win2k runs more programs in the background resulting in less RAM available.
-------Homepage: http://www.pclx.com
Well I''ve got 256 mb of ram and a geforce2 with 32mb.
That gotta be enough to at least initialize d3d even in 2000.
You are first making a win2k build when you are running it under win2k and not simply copying the one you built from WinME? If you arent then that''s probably the problem.
-RelisH!
I thought about this too, so installed vc++ in win2k and made a build there, with the same result.
Then I installed a game that uses directx. It couldn''t use anything else than the software renderer. So obviously this has nothing to do with vc++. It''s as if directx wasn''t present, although I know I have installed it. And reinstalled it just to be sure.
Maybe I should reinstall win2k and see what happens. Or maybe just forgetting about the whole thing and throwing win2k away is an even smarter idea.
Try (re)installing the newest nvidia drivers.
check the d3d settings in your control panel.
make sure the d3d is set to use hardware render .

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement