Looking to be an indie game developer, have questions

Started by
10 comments, last by Greg Quinn 11 years, 3 months ago

Look into these license's VERY carefully before you just jump on board. They are a hell of a lot more expensive than you would think. The royalties add up, then your vendor royalties, paying the artists, devoting months if not years of your own time into the project and when it's all said and done maybe you get 10 - 20% of the sales... What if it doesn't sell all that great? Epic fail and it hurts... BAD!

Don't come down too hard on royalty-based engines. As an indie developer, this is still a very lucrative way to go: quicker development of your game on time-tested platform-spanning engines means an earlier release and less time spent in negative-income development. And many indies won't necessarily have "artists" or other team members to pay (especially solo developers), depending on their skillset. The only thing you can guarantee is that no two developers will take the exact same path to that first paycheck, but I wouldn't throw out the Unity/UDK idea altogether.

Unity does not charge royalty / per title fees only a flat license fee and only for revenue in excess of $100,000 or for Pro version obviously

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

Advertisement
Hi, I'm trying to become an indie game developer. I'm learning directX atm and I'm trying to figure out what direction to take.

Personally, I'd suggest you rather learn a visual game engine like Unity3D. The learning curve is much more gentle and you can publish games to a wide variety of platforms quite easily.

Learning DirectX and C++ is great if you want to get into a AAA studio, but if you want to go the indie route and put out games quickly, you need something like Unity3D where all the plumbing has been taken care of for you and you can focus more on actual game development than the nitty gritty technical details.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement