DirectX general exception handling

Started by
3 comments, last by PKLoki 11 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

Recently I've been having some issues while working with DirectX and I'm curious about some error handling.

hr = D3DX11CompileFromFile("Effects.fx", 0, 0, "VS", "vs_4_0", 0, 0, 0, &VS_Buffer, 0, 0);
	hr = D3DX11CompileFromFile("Effects.fx", 0, 0, "PS", "ps_4_0", 0, 0, 0, &PS_Buffer, 0, 0);
	hr = D3DX11CompileFromFile("Effects.fx", 0, 0, "D2D_PS", "ps_4_0", 0, 0, 0, &D2D_PS_Buffer, 0, 0);
	//Create the Shader Objects
	hr = d3d11Device->CreateVertexShader(VS_Buffer->GetBufferPointer(), VS_Buffer->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &VS);
	hr = d3d11Device->CreatePixelShader(PS_Buffer->GetBufferPointer(), PS_Buffer->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &PS);
	hr = d3d11Device->CreatePixelShader(D2D_PS_Buffer->GetBufferPointer(), D2D_PS_Buffer->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &D2D_PS);

For example above ^ I'm having an issue with the "D2D_PS" lines from the CompileFromFile and the CreatePixelShader, but when the error comes up it just points to the line and comes up with an error like

"Unhandled exception at 0x772815de in DX16UP.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000."

So I'm just curious if I can put something after the "hr = " lines to do some error handling. I did have some code that was

if(FAILED(hr))
{
   MessageBox(NULL, DXGetErrorDesction(?)(hr),
      TEXT("Message"), MB_OK);
   return 0;
}

The "DXGetError" isn't really what I had but I can't seem to find it at the moment but you get the idea.

EDIT: I'm starting to think this should be in the DirectX section instead of the beginners. Could someone move this?

Advertisement
Error handling with the CompileFromFile function is a somewhat different from most other d3dx functions since it's dealing with compiling hlsl code. If I remember it right you can access any hlsl syntax errors by passing a ID3D10Blob** as the second-to-last parameter ('ppErrorMsgs').

If you want to put the error message in a MessageBox you would need something like

ID3D10Blob* pErrorBlob = NULL;
if (FAILED(D3DX11CompileFromFile("Effects.fx", 0, 0, "VS", "vs_4_0", 0, 0, 0, &VS_Buffer, &pErrorBlob, 0)))
{   
   char* pErrors_mb = static_cast<char*>(pErrorBlob->GetBufferPointer());   
   wchar_t pErrors_w[512];   
   mbstowcs(pErrors_w, pErrors_mb, 512);   
   MessageBox(NULL, pErrors_w, L"Error", MB_OK);   
   return 0;
}
edit: On a sidenote, MSDN recommends precompiling any shader code (for example by using fxc.exe) rather than using this function.

Okay thanks!

On a side note, why would you want to precompile shader code? ( MSDN Link I believe that's what you were referencing )

One reason to precompile that i can think of is that it hides the actual source hlsl code from the end user, if that makes any sense. Also, it's more efficient since the application doesn't have to compile the same code over and over at every launch.

But these reasons doesn't really apply when actually developing the shaders, where fiddling with fxc.exe every 5 minutes would probably just slow things down. Visual Studio 2012 solves this whole thing however by including an internal hlsl compiler.

Also, i've no idea why, but most of the D3DX-library has just recently been deprecated by microsoft with the release of windows 8. The math part has been moved to another library called DirectXMath (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh437833(v=vs.85).aspx), but i'm not sure what will happen to the other stuff (such as the compile shader function, and not to mention the helper functions for loading texture resources).

The effects framework as used to exist in D3DX has been deprecated. The Windows 8 SDK contains d3dcompiler.h/.lib which contains the basic functionality to compile shaders, if you want to write your own framework. There's also supposed to be the source for an effect framework included in the SDK so you can build it yourself, but I can't seem to find it in my install at the moment. Maybe a google for that?

For texture loading you could take a look at the DirectX Toolkit at http://directxtk.codeplex.com/

Visit http://www.mugsgames.com

Stroids, a retro style mini-game for Windows PC. http://barryskellern.itch.io/stroids

Mugs Games on Twitter: [twitter]MugsGames[/twitter] and Facebook: www.facebook.com/mugsgames

Me on Twitter [twitter]BarrySkellern[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement