How to record Android gameplay?

Started by
2 comments, last by dustin321 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello, I would like to record some gameplay from my current Android game. I have read several forum discussions on the topic, but none of the solutions have worked for me so far. I would like to record in good quality with a good frame rate (around 30 fps). The end goal is to eventually have a means of creating a video to demo my app in the Google Play store, so I want it to be good quality. What would be the best way to do this and achieve the quality that many of the top apps' videos have? Also, I apologize for this not being directly related to game development, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask.

Advertisement

Most devices aren't powerful enough to run the game at full speed and also render to video at the same time.

Often the best way to make that kind of video is to just fake it: Render a frame to a texture, perform the very slow read from texture, and push that image out to your video encoder. Advance your simulation by a single frame, and repeat. If you don't have a full video encoder then just write the image out to a numbered file and composite the video manually.

Another method is to run it on the emulator on your PC running a video capture on the emulated device.

The stock android emulator will not run at 30 FPS if you are doing heavy rendering.

Look at BlueStacks - http://www.bluestacks.com/ . It's an android emulator that's much faster than the stock android emulator.

It renders OPENGLes very well.

After you install bluestacks, install your APK there, and run it.

Then run your favourite screen capture program,

I recommend Camstudio or Microsoft Expression Blend.

Bluestacks manages to render most of the stuff correctly. I have seen it produce minor glitches though.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of those; I will try them out and see what works best. Bluestacks looks promising.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement