Blender: Tracing with Beizers

Started by
1 comment, last by eppo 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to use blender to trace images. What I'm trying to do is build a race track using blender by tracing a background image with beizers.

I've been reading up on this tutorial: http://www.danielsefton.com/2011/06/create-your-own-racetrack-with-blender-2-49/

This is the only tutorial I could find, but it's using an old version of blender that doesn't appear to be very similar to the latest version of blender I'm using (2.65). Also, I am still a noob with Blender and I'm just now getting around to learning how to use it. I'm mainly a programmer with basic art skills so all of this is a bit confusing. The "Tracing the Track" section is where I'm stuck at, and IMO, Blender is a good tool, but it's functionality and menus aren't the least bit "obvious".

The race track I drew up in GIMP is below. If that's relevant, or not I don't know.

I tried Googling, but that didn't really help unless I've been using the wrong keywords. Any ideas? Thanks.

[attachment=13302:Untitled.png]

Advertisement

Well, if you create a plane, or a curve, you can start there. For the plane, just remove (in edit mode) all 4 vertices, and then start adding vertices along the line using the ctrl-click method. You can also subdivide and adjust them later.

For the curves, you could use less vertices, and then adjust the curves using the control handles, which means you can use less of the vertices. Also, either method allows you to extrude the vertices instead of just ctrl-clicking them if you want to.

You might simplify your workflow if you use a vector art application to draw the track to begin with (Illustrator, Inkscape etc.). These applications have better tools to draw 2D curves than modelers in general have and it saves you the step of having to trace it. You can then import the curve into Blender to perform extrusion on it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement