3D modelling packages query

Started by
10 comments, last by tom76 22 years, 6 months ago
Right here''s my situation - I''m using Milkshape3D for my 3D models, exporting to .x format, but the trial period is up in a few days time and I am running out of time to get these models for my game done (I am up until 3am most nights so you can appreciate how much time I have left!). Now, is there a trial version of another 3D art package that exports to .x format that anybody can recommend? Or can someone lend me their registration key so I can continue and register later? "I envy you, who has seen it all" "And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..." - Daniel Glenfield 1st October 2001
if (witisism == !witty) return to_hole
Advertisement
quote:Original post by tom76
Right here''s my situation - I''m using Milkshape3D for my 3D models, exporting to .x format, but the trial period is up in a few days time and I am running out of time to get these models for my game done (I am up until 3am most nights so you can appreciate how much time I have left!).
Now, is there a trial version of another 3D art package that exports to .x format that anybody can recommend? Or can someone lend me their registration key so I can continue and register later?

"I envy you, who has seen it all"
"And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..."
- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001

Think for a moment, would ya? This is a developer site. We''re interested in selling software, so we are unlikely to help you pirate it.

Just buy a reg key, you obviously use it enough for it to be worthwhile, and Milkshape is really low-priced. Just skip going to the movies next weekend and you''ll have enough.
well snail mail is being slowed up, international especially right now, so I wondered if anybody knows of a trial version of another piece of software (I hear milkshape isn''t the best, so I''m better off buying one like 3D Max) that I can get to grips with QUICKLY.

I could set my BIOS clock back I know but I think that might bugger up my system.

- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001
quote:Original post by tom76
well snail mail is being slowed up, international especially right now, so I wondered if anybody knows of a trial version of another piece of software

Check your end user agreements. It may in fact be illegal to distribute any models that you built using the trial version of software (any software).

quote:
(I hear milkshape isn''t the best, so I''m better off buying one like 3D Max) that I can get to grips with QUICKLY.

3DS max costs $3000. If you can afford it, that''s definately what you should get. The rest of us are more attracted by milkshape''s $20 price tag.
This is ridiculous. Comparing 3DS Max with Milkshape 3D. A 3000$ (or more) package compared to a 20$ package. Geez.

Don''t tell us that you don''t have the money for milkshape. It''s 20$ and your key can be requested on the net via a registration form. It takes less than 24 hours.
> Check your end user agreements. It may in fact be illegal to distribute any models that you built using the trial version of software (any software).

Not if you bought the product afterwards. Ofcourse you have to buy it *before* releasing the models.

> 3DS max costs $3000. If you can afford it, that''s definately what you should get. The rest of us are more attracted by milkshape''s $20 price tag.

3DSmax is a totaly other league than Milkshape. You will need months to learn how to use it correctly.

> so I wondered if anybody knows of a trial version of another piece of software

You can get a free 30 day trial version of Maya 4. It takes up to 4 weeks to come, you can''t save anything, you need a monster machine to run it, and it''s about 2 to 3 times more complex than 3DSmax... Have fun.

Just register Milkshape online, it''s one to two days.
Why not use gmax from the makers of 3DS Max? It''s totally free
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/
Sure, you can''t save to .x or some other useful file format, but I''m sure someone can write a .gmax->.x utility.
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
quote:Original post by Scarab0
Sure, you can''t save to .x or some other useful file format, but I''m sure someone can write a .gmax->.x utility.

Until then...?

Look for 3D Canvas. It''s pretty full featured even in the free download version, and it has no time restrictions. The incentive to purchase is all the extra tools and features.

What, you want a link? Well, that''s what search engines are for!
Thanks - the more experience I have with different applications the better my job prospects are

- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001
Blender, I havent used MilkShape so i cant compare it but Blender is powerful. Give it a try irs completely free and you can learn the interface through tuts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement