Need funcion to return char[]?

Started by
20 comments, last by King Mir 11 years, 2 months ago
If you have a C++11 compiler, there's already a class that does that: std::array. If not, you can also use boost::array, which it is based on.
Advertisement

I mentioned this in another thread, and this is a common tripping point, but an array isn't really a variable, its just a trick to look like one. At the end of the day, an array is just syntactic sugar over a continuous block of memory.

That's incorrect. An array is a type that's distinct from the concept of a continuous block of memory. In particular, dynamic arrays returned by new or malloc (and other functions) represent continuous blocks of memory, but are not of array type. Arrays are just a somewhat inconsistant feature of C/C++. It's not sugar.

But it's true that arrays behave differently from other variable types.

I mentioned this in another thread, and this is a common tripping point, but an array isn't really a variable, its just a trick to look like one. At the end of the day, an array is just syntactic sugar over a continuous block of memory.

That's incorrect. An array is a type that's distinct from the concept of a continuous block of memory. In particular, dynamic arrays returned by new or malloc (and other functions) represent continuous blocks of memory, but are not of array type. Arrays are just a somewhat inconsistant feature of C/C++. It's not sugar.

What do you suppose an array is then, if not a continuous block of memory?

It's a type.

An array represents a monotonous aggregate of types in continious memory, but it is a type in its own right, and destinct from several other ways the same concept could be expressed.

It's a type.

An array represents a monotonous aggregate of types in continious memory, but it is a type in its own right, and destinct from several other ways the same concept could be expressed.

Oh thanks. Upon closer inspection, I realized your first post already said an array is a type. I guess I was paying more attention to the "...distinct from the concept of..." part.

I would say an array is a type, an array variable is a variable, and is also a contiguous block of memory.

One of the few situations where a programmer will see an actual difference is references.

void func( int(&a)[10] ) { ... }

This will take an actual array, it must contain ints and it must be size 10. The last part is what often makes it useless in practice compared to "(int* a, size_t num)".

f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
In technical jargon C++ arrays are not first class types. In other words there are many instances where arrays are treated differently than other types. One of the differences is that while you can declare a function to take an array as a function parameter, the compiler will automatically transform all array function parameters to pointers. This means it's impossible to pass a regular array by value. It's also illegal to return an array from a function. Unlike most other types, a variable with array type is not a legal lvalue. Pre-C++11 there was no way to initialize an array in a member initialization list. cv-qualifiers in an array declaration can't be applied to the array type, only the members of the array and so on. Arrays are types, but special cases.

Exactly what distinction exists about arrays that does not amount to syntactic sugar? I can use array subscript notation to navigate through newed/malloced memory, and I can use pointer arith to navigate static/stack based arrays. As far as I'm aware, all of the inconsistencies of array notation in C\C++ are a result of the fact that, under the covers, arrays are just pointers to a block of data, however that data is allocated, and array subscript notation is just another form of dereferencing that pointer.

under the covers, arrays are just pointers to a block of data

There's a subtle difference between a variable being a block of memory and a variable being a pointer to a block of memory, which is best illustrated by looking at the assembly generated when you access the two. Consider this code:

void foo(int);
int main(int, char **) {
  int a[5];
  foo(a[1]); 
}
The relevant bits of the assembly of the function call look like this under MSVC x64:

mov	ecx, DWORD PTR a$[rsp+4]
	call	?foo@@YAXH@Z				; foo
Change the array to a pointer and the generated assembly changes:

mov	rax, QWORD PTR a$[rsp]
	mov	ecx, DWORD PTR [rax+4]
	call	?foo@@YAXH@Z				; foo
With the variable declared as an array, you can get the address of the array member by adding to the stack pointer. With the variable declared as a pointer, you need to load the value of the pointer and then get the address of the member. Under the hood, arrays and pointers behave somewhat differently. Of course C does your best to confuse you about the difference between pointers and arrays by doing things like implicit decay and argument type transformation, which C++ unfortunately inherits.

Thanks for the example SiCrane. That's definitely more than syntactic sugar. I'm curious to know though if that is per the C spec, or a compiler optimization.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement