SRGB with FBO problem

Started by
5 comments, last by Ponkx 11 years, 2 months ago

Hello,

I was trying to write linear color values to FBO with glEnable(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB) enabled, but conversion from linear -> SRGB space seems not working.

My test program was doing something like this:

1. Load some test texture with GL_SRGB8 format

2. Initialize FBO with texture with GL_SRGB8_ALPHA8 format

3. Bind that FBO

4. glEnable(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB)

5. render test texture to FBO

-> now FBO should contain very the same color values as input test texture (conversion SRGB -> linear of test texture during sampling, and then conversion linear -> SRGB during write to FBO).

6. glDisable(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB)

7. Unbind FBO and render FBO texture to back buffer.

I was expecting, that output color will be the same as input texture, but result is darker, that means, that conversion is not working. Strange is, that rendering that test GL_SRGB8 texture directly to the back buffer (no FBO) when GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB was enabled is working (output is very the same as input texture).

I was trying to initialize FBO just as GL_RGBA8 format, but results were still dark.

So, I want to ask, shoud SRGB conversion work even for FBO buffers? (as I was reading the spec of that extension, it should work). Or is it just some driver bug? (I'm using AMD card), or did I overlook something?

Thanks.

Advertisement

No, this isn't how this extension works (according to specs) - see http://www.g-truc.net/post-0263.html or the specs http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/framebuffer_sRGB.txt

As stated, GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB only performs automatic conversions at blending stage.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

The spec that you linked to says that if blending is enabled, the the framebuffer value is decoded, blended with the linear shader output, then re-encoded. It also says that if blending is disabled, the shader output will be encoded before being written. (all this also depending on the FBO state)

@Ponkx, maybe see the bits in the spec about FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_COLOR_ENCODING and the interactions with EXT_texture_sRGB.

When I check value return value from FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_COLOR_ENCODING, it says GL_SRGB (if I create FBO texture with GL_SRGB. It return GL_LINEAR when I create it with RGBA). Extension also says:

"If FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB is enabled and the value of
    FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_COLOR_ENCODING for the framebuffer attachment
    corresponding to the destination buffer is SRGB (see section 6.1.3),
    the R, G, and B values after blending are converted into the non-linear
    sRGB color space by some approximation of the following:

{  0.0,                          0         <= cl
             {  12.92 * c,                    0         <  cl < 0.0031308
        cs = {  1.055 * cl^0.41666 - 0.055,   0.0031308 <= cl < 1
             {  1.0,                                       cl >= 1

where cl is the R, G, or B element and cs is the result
    (effectively converted into an sRGB color space).

so I even tried to enable blending, but still no effect. :( EXT_texture_sRGB is supported on my system.

Have you tried updating your drivers?
Which drivers are you using?
Which GPU are you using?

I Have ATI 5650 mobility, drivers 12.10, quite recent.

Just tried to set GL_TEXTURE_SRGB_DECODE_EXT texture paramter to GL_SKIP_DECODE_EXT - it should turn off sRGB->linear conversion. But again it doesn't working. Results are still dark, as if conversion would be performed (GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode is supported on my system).

So it seems to me, that all sRGB conversion stuff is somehow strange, at least on my system...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement