What game type do you prefer and why?

Started by
23 comments, last by sunandshadow 11 years ago

I've added turn based RPG. Currently from the looks of it most of the voters prefer sandbox games, would you prefer 3D, like Minecraft, or 2D, like Terraria?

I would prefer 2d like Terraria. I don't mind Minecraft though. It has it's charms smile.png
*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***
Advertisement

I've added turn based RPG. Currently from the looks of it most of the voters prefer sandbox games, would you prefer 3D, like Minecraft, or 2D, like Terraria?

I would prefer 2d like Terraria. I don't mind Minecraft though. It has it's charms smile.png

I too, prefer Terraria. But for some reason I get bored of Terraria faster..

Btw just want to say it: I refreshed the page and saw the votes go down from 20 to 19, i refreshed again two seconds later and saw the votes go up to 20 again. Knew immediately it was you changing your vote. Just wanted to say

I dont like 2D for more complex gameplay because i feel it lacks a dimension. Either you cant go around a point without digging/flying, or you cant dig/fly.

Something like DF might be ideal, however i would like to not be blind as to what happens on the level below if i can see 100 units to all directions on the current level... Also i might be able to shoot at any angle on the horizontal plane, but shooting at a vertical angle makes the projectile or whatever just appear on many levels for a vey short time (basically depth would be a "lesser" dimension of some sort)

2D top down - cant dig nor fly

2D side view - dem evil noobs built a giant stone tower in the middle of the world preventing all travel

DF style top down with depth - doibg things that incorporate multiple depth levels is a pain

3D - Itll end up laggy and confusing and with tenth of the features

:c

o3o

Well I have this 2D sandbox game idea in mind inspired by Terraria. It would be more technological than Terraria, and even though it's 2D, you will be able to go indoors. I can't explain myself very well, but I'm trying to say like a door on the wall in the background that you can enter, and if you do, its like another layer behind the previous one. and it can go a few layers back. It saves alot of space. So Imagine Terraria with like multiple layers of tiles. Good / Bad / Dumb?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of action games. I prefer more intellectual games such as puzzles & adventures (not action/adventure, that's a completely different genre). Think Lucas Arts & Sierra games of old, or The Last Express (similar games which are sorely missing from app stores). I just like to take my time and play on my schedule and not the games. As for dimensions, I prefer 2D. I can only play 3D games for so long before I get nauseous and I also tend to find that 3D gameplay is too simplistic for my taste. (I don't mind 2D gameplay with 3D graphics though).

Cooperative 3D first-person action-RPGs with some minor platforming in an open-world.

Not sandboxes (e.g Minecraft), but open worlds (like the Elder Scrolls games). I'm not opposed to sandbox games, and enjoyed cooperative Minecraft, but I want open worlds because of the more cultivated and designed experience but still allowing exploration and choice. Bonus points if it gives you just enough a sandbox for multiple creative solutions to each problem.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of action games. I prefer more intellectual games such as puzzles & adventures (not action/adventure, that's a completely different genre). Think Lucas Arts & Sierra games of old, or The Last Express (similar games which are sorely missing from app stores). I just like to take my time and play on my schedule and not the games. As for dimensions, I prefer 2D. I can only play 3D games for so long before I get nauseous and I also tend to find that 3D gameplay is too simplistic for my taste. (I don't mind 2D gameplay with 3D graphics though).

I too prefer 2D, as I might have mentioned before, but I can't say the same for puzzles and adventures. I don't really enjoy them, even if they are more intellectual. As for action/adventure, now that's what I like!

Cooperative 3D first-person action-RPGs with some minor platforming in an open-world.

Not sandboxes (e.g Minecraft), but open worlds (like the Elder Scrolls games). I'm not opposed to sandbox games, and enjoyed cooperative Minecraft, but I want open worlds because of the more cultivated and designed experience but still allowing exploration and choice. Bonus points if it gives you just enough a sandbox for multiple creative solutions to each problem.

Elder Scrolls games are good indeed, by the way, they're developing an Elder Scrolls mmo, I registered for beta... but never got a reply... Anyways I like Minecraft too, but I can't deal with griefers.

Thanks for your opinions!

If we're discussing 2D vs. 3D, I'd like to say that for action games in particular I prefer 2D, for the same reason as Nytegard, that I get motion sickness from some 3D games. Especially first person ones where there are fast movements required (i.e. action games). Games like Half-life and Vindictus I just can't play due to nausea, and I had some uncomfortable moments during Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyrim, though I finished both of those. (Well, it's not really possible to finish Skyrim, but close enough.) For most game types I like 2D and 3D equally well, though the 2D has to be high res cartoons/anime, I detest pixel art. On the other hand for a sandbox game I think 3D is probably a better choice than 2D because it's better suited to user customization and playing a life in a virtual world.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You left fighting games off the list.

Currently the only game I am playing is Persona 4 Arena.

Why? Because my coworkers play it.

After losing at lunch every day I secretly bought a PlayStation 3 just for that game and trained on my own so that suddenly I could surprise them with my abilities one day.

Just like old times… …(Super Smash Bros. Melee and losing to my friends.)

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

First of all, thanks for your comments, and I apologize for a late reply because I was unable to log into my account.

If we're discussing 2D vs. 3D, I'd like to say that for action games in particular I prefer 2D, for the same reason as Nytegard, that I get motion sickness from some 3D games. Especially first person ones where there are fast movements required (i.e. action games). Games like Half-life and Vindictus I just can't play due to nausea, and I had some uncomfortable moments during Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyrim, though I finished both of those. (Well, it's not really possible to finish Skyrim, but close enough.) For most game types I like 2D and 3D equally well, though the 2D has to be high res cartoons/anime, I detest pixel art. On the other hand for a sandbox game I think 3D is probably a better choice than 2D because it's better suited to user customization and playing a life in a virtual world.

Yes, we are discussing 2Dv3D as well as your favorite game genres. I personally like 2D more than 3D in most games, so I can't agree with most of what you said, especially pixel art. I adore pixel art, but for sandbox games, 3D might be a better choice than 2D because not only does it add an extra dimension to the game, it does make it more of a simulator.

You left fighting games off the list.

Currently the only game I am playing is Persona 4 Arena.

Why? Because my coworkers play it.

After losing at lunch every day I secretly bought a PlayStation 3 just for that game and trained on my own so that suddenly I could surprise them with my abilities one day.

Just like old times… …(Super Smash Bros. Melee and losing to my friends.)

L. Spiro

I added fighting, but I was never really into those games so it didn't come to mind when I was making the poll. But hey, it's a game genre.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement