PS3 games in C++..

Started by
31 comments, last by kks21199 11 years, 1 month ago

ok thanks guys, i think first iw ill stick on pc and android/ios development and when i have enough skills on doin a video game for pc alone i will look on consoles

Advertisement
Slight technicality... if you have the correct PS3 (pre sony being a ***** patch, or post patch and hacked) you can boot ubuntu or yellow dog linux on the PS3 and learn all the SPU and some GPU programming for the PS3 without the SDK.

i'd also like to point out that the ps3 has been hacked to run unsigned code(assuming your console is on a firmware that can be hacked). i'm not sure how far along the ps3's homebrew sdk got since i last used it, but it was more than enough to make games.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Ironically enough, Sony started an indy program today. There is a form to fill out on their site. It covers all their consoles.

Daaark, it might just be me, but I think it's misleading to say "you can't do it without Sony's say so", because that's not strictly true in all cases. tongue.png It is entirely possible to write raw C or C++ using PSL1GHT or the leaked v1.92 of the official PS3 SDK and then compile and run programs on the Playstation 3 natively.

I'm a little behind on my PS3 homebrew scene-ology, so I'm not sure if the private key used to sign official software is still a valid means to sign your code to run it on the Cell without modification. IIRC this is a vulnerability that isn't exactly patchable without invalidating all prior officially licensed software on the market in one fell swoop. Maybe this is something the OP can look into.

Slight technicality... if you have the correct PS3 (pre sony being a ***** patch, or post patch and hacked) you can boot ubuntu or yellow dog linux on the PS3 and learn all the SPU and some GPU programming for the PS3 without the SDK.

where can i get a demo on doing it

Ironically enough, Sony started an indy program today. There is a form to fill out on their site. It covers all their consoles.

Hmmm, is this different from the Playstation Suite (Mobile) SDK they released about a year ago? Granted, they haven't done as well as Microsoft in promoting their indie-friendly SDK to developers. I searched for "Sony Indie SDK" on Google and didn't find anything relevant and new from this week.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

I was curious about that too. I remember when the PSP 'indie' kit came out. It was a lot nicer than the standard, but still nowhere near the hobbyist level. Daaark, do you have a link for us?
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Daaark, do you have a link to the Sony indy thing?

where can i get a demo on doing it
PS3s used to ship with an OtherOS option in the menus, if you have the correct firmware versions (sony removed OtherOS because 'omg hackers') then you can follow:
http://gizmodo.com/5143547/how+to-install-ubuntu-on-your-ps3-for-vintage-gaming-emulation
If not, you'll need to find a tutorial on hacking past Sony's firmware update that removed the OtherOS option before you can run through the install process.
After it is installed there were some official SDKs you can install:
http://blog.gammal.org/2007/06/installing-cell-sdk-under-ubuntu.html (or maybe read http://homepages.engineering.auckland.ac.nz/~sinnen/CellSDK-onUbuntu-onPS3.txt)
There are also some un-official hack sdks you can install. And there is the possibility of signing your own binaries to run from your PS3s main menu though it takes much more effort.

Minimally that would let you play around with the cpu/gpu on the PS3.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement