I am creating a massive space-exploration game.
After the SimCity fiasco, and other fiasco's related to people hating DRM games, such as Diablo III, is any form of dedicated servers/DRM for a game considered bad? If my game is entirely multiplayer, and that's how the game will always be played; it's not a single player game at all, is it really bad? For example, the previous SimCity games WERE single player and it is the type of game that COULD be single player and work fine but it's not. But a game like World of Warcraft couldn't really be played without advanced player economy, interactions, etc. You don't see anybody freaking out about that games DRM.
For a game like mine which the entire game revolves around multiplayer mechanics, would I receive hate for having dedicated servers which you must be on to play?
Basically what I'm trying to ask is if DRM is ALWAYS a terrible thing in the eyes of gamers, or if there are variables involved, and a game like SimCity or Diablo III has no excuse for being DRM?
Thanks.