Explaning Image downsample

Started by
24 comments, last by Khatharr 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi All,

I tried to figure out the meaning of that function, I couldn't, even tried on paper, but didn't get it. Would someone explain that to me smile.png ? If that's possible with Ascii text or some images would be so much appreciated.

static void inline resizeRow(uint32_t *dst, uint32_t *src, uint32_t pixelsPerRow)

{
        uint8_t * pSrc8 = (uint8_t *)src;
        uint8_t * pDest8 = (uint8_t *)dst;
        int stride = pixelsPerRow * sizeof(uint32_t);
        int x;
        int r, g, b, a;

for (x=0; x<pixelsPerRow; x++)
        {
                r = pSrc8[0] + pSrc8[4] + pSrc8[stride+0] + pSrc8[stride+4];
                g = pSrc8[1] + pSrc8[5] + pSrc8[stride+1] + pSrc8[stride+5];
                b = pSrc8[2] + pSrc8[6] + pSrc8[stride+2] + pSrc8[stride+6];
                a = pSrc8[3] + pSrc8[7] + pSrc8[stride+3] + pSrc8[stride+7];
                pDest8[0] = (uint8_t)((r + 2)/4); // average with rounding
                pDest8[1] = (uint8_t)((g + 2)/4);
                pDest8[2] = (uint8_t)((b + 2)/4);
                pDest8[3] = (uint8_t)((a + 2)/4);
                pSrc8 += 8; // skip forward 2 source pixels
                pDest8 += 4; // skip forward 1 destination pixel
        }
}

Advertisement

It's halving the size of 2 rows of the source image by adding together the r, g, b and a components of each 4x4 pixel square in the 2 rows of the source image, adding 0.5 to each value as well (so adding 2 to the total), then dividing by 4, to get the destination colour.

Looks like the for loop should go to pixelsPerRow - 1 though, otherwise it will read pixels off the right hand side on the last iteration.

Presumably the function is called in a loop for every other row of the source image.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Downsampling is basically just taking an image at a higher resolution and redrawing it at a lower resolution.

For example, suppose I have a 10x10 pixel image, and downsample it to 5x5. There are a number of ways to do this. First, I could simply skip every other pixel:

Source image: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Destination image: 0 2 4 6 8

And then I skip a row, and repeat this process on the next row.

This is going to make things look a little bad, though. A better approach is to average the pixels:

Source image:

A B
C D

Destination pixel at 0,0 is A+B+C+D / 4
It looks like your code is doing the second method.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I think the loop should probably go from 0 to pixelsPerRow / 2 or else x should increment by 2 every iteration...

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Thanks for your answer, I have made an imaginary bitmap, so I got 4*4 pixels assuming 1 Pixel is 3 bytes RGB, and I added them, but how come from two rows I get 4*4 pixels?

Would someone please show me some pics smile.png ?

Regarding also those lines:

pDest8[0] = (uint8_t)((r + 2)/4); // average with rounding
                pDest8[1] = (uint8_t)((g + 2)/4);
                pDest8[2] = (uint8_t)((b + 2)/4);
                pDest8[3] = (uint8_t)((a + 2)/4);
                pSrc8 += 8; // skip forward 2 source pixels
                pDest8 += 4; // skip forward 1 destination pixel

He skipped 4 bytes, but at the second iteration he writes again at 0,1,2,3 at the dest, should be 4,5,6,7 ?

That's because it's a pointer not an array... if you do

pSrc[offset] that's just shorthand for *(pSrc + offset) but you add 4 to pSrc each iteration so if you have

char myCharArray[10000] = { some data };

char* pSrc = myCharArray;

pSrc[0] = 10;

pSrc += 4;

pSrc[0] = 11;

that's the same as writing 10 to myCharArray[0] and 11 to myCharArray[4].

EDIT: Oops, mixed up order of pSrc and pBase in first attempt.

EDIT2: Changed pBase into myCharArray... easier to understand...

@Paradimg Shift,

Thanks for your explanation, you know what I have worked a lot in C,C++, and I never know that info!! I'm gonna review pointers now..

If its ok for you, would you please just draw a simple bitmap to get the algorithm ?

I would like also to modify it so that it works for any scale, not just by two.

I'm terrible at drawing ;)

It's not easy to make it work for scales other than a simple division of the width either... you need to use a different way of weighting the pixel values since the sample points you take aren't centred on the pixels of the source image. Best to use a graphics library to do the downsizing for you (if you need to do it at runtime) or if you just need to resize a lot of images once use an image filtering program (or something like photoshop).

I have used opencv function cv::resize and it is slow on ARM... that's why I wanna write my own, and convert it to ARM Neon...

What is meant by stride + 0 , stride + 1 ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement