payment provider, in-game purchase and payment

Started by
1 comment, last by shadowomf 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello,

this is a somewhat newbish question, but I'm trying to find out a bit more about payment, payment providers and so on.

I've found a lot of payment providers with various options. But none that sounds right for myself. Do you have any experience with payment providers you would like to share (things like, what to look at, where you have to be carefull)?

At the moment I'm actually looking for a provider that does in-game payments. The problem is, the existing ones are almost all geared towards web developers (html, actionscript or java).

I don't want my players to go out of the game to purchase stuff on a website just to get back in the game to see what they have purchased and I don't want to add an in-game browser just to show the providers payment page.

Do you know any payment providers that allow the developer to collect the data in their own form and then go from there?

Did you ever used a payment provide for purchase of in-game items or did you find an alternative?

And one more question, what do you think about credit cards? Accepting payments by credit card is pretty expensive for the merchant and in many countries credit cards aren't that common (e.g. in Germany many people don't have a credit card, myself included, most people only get one when travelling). Would you just ignore the whole credit card payment stuff and rely on other payment methods or do you elive it's essential to accept credit card payments?

Well, I guess that's all at the moment. I would love to hear what you're thinking.

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that although PayPal's API (not the auto generated web-forms that non-merchant accounts can also use) is web-based (HTTP, etc) you could write your own HTTP client to communicate with it, instead of using a browser.

It's very unconventional (which probably means: very unpopular with your users), but you could also look into accepting Bitcoins -- there's basically no payment provider between you and the customer in that case (you've just got to write a system to accept transactions), and instead, you just have to deal with one of many providers when you want to exchange your accumulated bitcoins for real currency later.

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

Bitcoin seems a bit shady to me (not only me, by the looks of it some government institutions think the same). Maybe it's just some bad reputation it has?

Anyway I would like to enable the user to make purchases without creating yet another account at some provider, if they already got a perfectly fine bank account or some other possibility to make purchases. It looks like another unneccessary step and if the players are just as lazy as me, they will rather start looking somewhere else to fullfil their entertainment needs.

However the idea to integrate my own http (https) client in the application sounds quite promising and should in theory work with other payment providers too. I didn't noticed that it could work that way, thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement