What open source 3ds max to direct3d exporter are available?

Started by
6 comments, last by Schrompf 11 years, 1 month ago

Any ideas?

I know about kwexport, but it doesn't export cameras.

Thanks

Jack

Advertisement

This is because the Direct3D scene file format does not support cameras. If you really need lights and cameras, I suggest looking into the Collada file format. FBX might also support this, but I'm not sure.

----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.

I'm not sure exactly which formats you are looking for, but AssImp might have what you need.

Keep in mind that the ".x" format isn't the only format that can be used with D3D... D3D itself doens't directly support any file formats! The ".x" format is implemented in D3DX, the helper/utility layer.

Using ".x" and D3DX is basically the same as using ".dae" and Assimp, or ".fbx" and the FBX SDK, etc, etc...

Personally, I'd use a format that's built into Max, like collada or FBX.

This is because the Direct3D scene file format does not support cameras. If you really need lights and cameras, I suggest looking into the Collada file format. FBX might also support this, but I'm not sure.

how would you load the models with c++?

:)

how would you load the models with c++?

By reading what others already wrote in this thread.

----------

I need to combine a Camera position vector and a Camera orientation Quaternion into a view matrix.

How do I achieve this? I have been scratching my hair for a long time. These are provided by the collada and IGame exporter.

Thanks

Jack

Convert the quaternion to a rotation matrix, then concatenate a translation matrix to it. Whatever programming language and math classes you are using will already provide a means to do this.

----------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement