Three of a kind numbers

Started by
33 comments, last by alvaro 11 years, 1 month ago

i dont really understand what a hash is and I would like to keep this game simple. By the way this is for a game of yahtzee not poker

Hashtable.

In java, that'd be in java.util.Hashtable

Advertisement

With Yahtzee you might be better having an array of size 6 and store a count of how many dice are rolled of each number. That makes checking the combinations and scoring them really easy.

Can't you still have a full house and 2 pairs in Yahtzee too?

Ten Thousand/Farkle/Dix Mille is a much better dice game though I reckon, especially with the 4 or more 2's = disaster lose all your banked points rule.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

I think this is the easiest way if you have no need to sort:

int same=0;

for(int i=0;i<4;++i)

for(int j=i+1;j<5;++j)

if(a == a[j])

same++;

same = 1 is a pair

same = 3 is a three of a kind

same = 6 is a quad

same = 10 is 5 of a kind

added:

same = 2 is two pair

same = 4 is a full house

The Four Horsemen of Happiness have left.

You could also use histograms as they allow you to check all of the other constraints on placing a roll really quickly. 3 of a kind one histogram bar is at least 3, with 4 it goes to 4, with a large straight all of them are 1, small straight at least four connecting number bars are 1 or more.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Yeah that's what I was suggesting with the array of 6 entries, use it as a histogram.

I thought a small straight was 1-2-3-4-5 and a large straight was 2-3-4-5-6?

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Just for fun, a (beginner) Haskell implementation:

unique :: (Eq a) => [a] -> [a]
unique []     = []
unique (x:xs) = x : unique (filter (\y -> not (x==y)) xs)

nOcurrences :: (Eq a) => a -> [a] -> Int
nOcurrences elem list = length (filter (==elem) list)

isThreeKind :: (Eq a) => [a] -> Bool
isThreeKind list = elem 3 [nOcurrences i list | i <- (unique list)]

You could parametrize the 3 number in "isThreeKind" function and have a "fourKind", a "fiveKind", or whatever...

Cheers.

Yeah that's what I was suggesting with the array of 6 entries, use it as a histogram.

I thought a small straight was 1-2-3-4-5 and a large straight was 2-3-4-5-6?

Not according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Looks like I've been playing a weird Yacht/Yahtzee hybrid then ;) I also thought Yacht was the same game as Yahtzee, you learn something new every day ;)

Since I mentioned 10,000 someone should do a physics based simulation of the remarkably similar game "Pass the Pigs" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_the_pigs

EDIT: And I've never heard of the Kissin' Bacon (both snouts touching) rule before. It's not in my ruleset!

This should be blazing fast:
struct Classification {
  bool is_three_of_a_kind;
  bool is_four_of_a_kind;
  bool is_full_house;
  bool is_small_straight;
  bool is_large_straight;
  bool is_yahtzee;
  bool is_chance;

Classification(int *dice) {
    int sum = 0;
    int types = 0;

for (int i=0; i<5; ++i) {
      sum += 1 << ((dice-1)*3);
      types |= 1 << (dice-1);
    }
    int n_types = __builtin_popcount(types); // This only works in gcc. You can find other ways of counting set bits for other compilers.

is_three_of_a_kind = (((sum + 0111111) & 0444444) != 0);
    is_four_of_a_kind = ((sum & 0444444) != 0);
    is_full_house = ((n_types == 2) && !is_four_of_a_kind);
    is_small_straight = ((types & (types>>1) & (types>>2) & (types>>3)) != 0);
    is_large_straight = (types == 31 || types == 62);
    is_yahtzee = ((types & (types-1)) == 0);
    is_chance = true;
  }
};
Another alternative is to encode all the bools in a single byte and make a table that maps a 5-digit base-6 number to its classification. That table is smaller than 8KB.

*reads Alvaro's post* *checks name of forum*

OK, it's "For Beginners" ;) Probably a tad too advanced for a simple Yahtzee game...

I suggested a sort and count consecutive approach (since it is scalable for more complex problems) until I found out it was Yahtzee where I feel a histogram based approach is going to be simplest to implement and understand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement