Simple question concering rotation.

Started by
12 comments, last by Paradigm Shifter 11 years ago

Hello fellows of gamedev.net. I've been struggling with a bit of a problem on my AI.

Me and a friend are working on a space game. Our use-case is a basic kind of AI that will stop and turn to the player when the player comes near.
The problem as follows:

How do I find the (target) angular velocity that will rotate a ship towards a given point?

The knee-jerk solution would be to create a look-at rotation matrix, but this isn't an option. The ship must be rotated indirectly by changing it's target velocity.

I have looked in the book "Artificial Intelligence for Games, Second Edition", from page 180 and on, however this example use quaternions, not matrices like we do.

I guess the basic idea would be to align the ships z-axis with the vector between the two ships, however I don't know how to achieve this( my math skills are lacking sad.png )

thanks in advance!

Advertisement
This should probably be moved to "Math & Physiscs".

Why don't you use quaternions for this computation? It's much easier to do that way.

I wrote this function for an aimbot project for a popular online game over a decade ago:

void VecToAngles( const float *forward, float *angles )
{
	float	tmp, yaw, pitch;

if (forward[1] == 0 && forward[0] == 0)
	{
		yaw = 0;
		if (forward[2] > 0)
			pitch = 90;
		else
			pitch = 270;
	}
	else
	{
		yaw = (atan2(forward[1], forward[0]) * 180 / 3.14159);

if (yaw < 0)
			yaw += 360;

tmp = sqrt (forward[0]*forward[0] + forward[1]*forward[1]);

pitch = (atan2(forward[2], tmp) * 180 / 3.14159);
	}

angles[0] = pitch;
	angles[1] = yaw;
	angles[2] = 0;
}

The rest is history.

This should probably be moved to "Math & Physiscs".

Why don't you use quaternions for this computation? It's much easier to do that way.

The main reason is our code base doen't have support for quaternions as of now. Furthermore I have never used quaternions before and therefore am not really comfortable with them. Anyway, do you really think the only suitable solution would be quaternions?

The main reason is our code base doen't have support for quaternions as of now. Furthermore I have never used quaternions before and therefore am not really comfortable with them. Anyway, do you really think the only suitable solution would be quaternions?

No, I don't think it's the only solution, but it's probably the easiest. If you stick to representing attitudes as matrices, figuring out the most natural transition between two attitudes involves some heavy math.

How do I find the (target) angular velocity that will rotate a ship towards a given point?

You can calculate the target angular velocity vector by taking the cross product of the current direction and the desired direction, and scaling according to the desired rotation speed. That leaves the question of the ship's roll when it reaches the destination, though - if you care about that, this problem becomes more complicated.

You can calculate the target angular velocity vector by taking the cross product of the current direction and the desired direction, and scaling according to the desired rotation speed. That leaves the question of the ship's roll when it reaches the destination, though - if you care about that, this problem becomes more complicated.

this is a very nice solution smile.png seems to be working well so far. As for the roll, I think it's fine to have spaceship gravitate towards an 'up' vector, or I'll just figure something out :)

No, I don't think it's the only solution, but it's probably the easiest. If you stick to representing attitudes as matrices, figuring out the most natural transition between two attitudes involves some heavy math.

Say, if we were to implement quatornions, what would be the basic steps used to get an angular velocity? Find the angular displacement vector that is the lowest?

Say, if we were to implement quatornions, what would be the basic steps used to get an angular velocity? Find the angular displacement vector that is the lowest?

You would take the logarithm of the ratio of the target attitude and the current attitude. This is a quaternion whose real part is 0; the other three components give you the angular velocity that, when applied for 1 second, will convert the current attitude into the target attitude.
#include <iostream>
#include <boost/math/quaternion.hpp>

typedef boost::math::quaternion<double> Q;

int main() {
  Q a(0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
  Q b(0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);

Q ratio = b / a;
  double scale = std::acos(ratio.R_component_1());
  Q log_of_ratio(0.0,
                 scale * ratio.R_component_2(),
                 scale * ratio.R_component_3(),
                 scale * ratio.R_component_4());