Linux Mint, anyone?

Started by
34 comments, last by tmccolgan88 10 years, 11 months ago
Personnally, I've never really liked Mint. It just felt -like- Ubuntu, but not quite... like something was off and wrong. It also didnt help Mint's degree of polish is lacking (not saying Ubuntu's is perfect)... I personally use Xubuntu (XFCE Ubuntu build), which like Lubuntu (LXDE Ubuntu build), dumps Unity for a much much more performant Desktop Environment. XFCE is an extremely fast Dekstop Environment, and i've continually been happy with its performance. If you're looking for a gnome-2 like desktop, its hard to get anything faster (well, perhaps LXDE and or OpenBox ;) )(benchmarks over at Phoronix). However, it will beat OpenBox and LXDE for looks ;)
Advertisement

Mint is my go-to distro for when I need Linux. They've managed to avoid doing anything stupid to the interface (*ahem*) and things generally seem well supported.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

>What surprised me the most about Mint is how much faster than Ubuntu it was, and I was even running it off of a live CD! It seemed more fluid. Also, even though it's just aesthetics, the wallpapers are amazing!

Me too. First time I booted it from my crappy flash stick it was really fast, and the installation was nice too. I especially did not miss not having Ubuntu's ridiculous "installing those 500MB language packs that you will never use but for some reason I need to download them anyway, you know, just in case you happen to speak all 177 languages, never mind that I actually asked what language you wanted five minutes ago". Now on my SSD it's beautiful. It takes about ~1 second for the desktop to appear and the system is ready for use smile.png

Haha, yeah, I hated having all language packages installed. Good grief!

And holy crap on that boot time! I might have to install an SSD in my tower for Mint... that'd be so awesome to have a section of my computer, ready in less than 5 seconds!

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

We tried it out at work for a while, but every revision seemed to muck with the boot process, and the overall stability was abysmal.

Admittedly, that was a couple of years back, so the situation may have improved since then.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

We tried it out at work for a while, but every revision seemed to muck with the boot process, and the overall stability was abysmal.

Admittedly, that was a couple of years back, so the situation may have improved since then.

I've been running it at work for a bit over a year now, everything just works and it starts a heck of a lot faster than Windows7 (allthough i only reboot to switch OS when i have to test in a proper windows install (rather than a VM) so it might just be that my win install gets rusty from the neglect)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Hmm, well, I seem to be having some issues getting to recognize my sound... that's not good. :P

I'll tinker with it some more. You've always got to tinker with Linux, no matter what distro you use!

My development blog!

That's for sure. You prolly need a closed source driver for it.

You prolly need a closed source driver for it.

Or a sacrifice.

Goats may work, if you don't have a handy supply of virgins.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Do the goats have to be virgins?

Actually I got it to work. It was trying to go through my headphones (which were plugged directly into my PC and not through my speakers), so I just had to unplug them. Simple, silly mistake. :P

My development blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement