3D Audio Game

Started by
9 comments, last by CBledsoejr 10 years, 10 months ago

Apologies for the semi-plug, but I thought this might be interesting for this group..

I just finished a 3D audio game, Ear Monsters. This casual, arcade-style game uses 3D sound to place enemies around the player, where you have to defeat them, Whack-a-mole/Fruit-Ninja style. For those who were at GDC, this is the game I gave a talk on. I'm following up that talk with a Gamasutra post this week, where I go over more of the "things learned" as well as some of the dead ends I tried when making it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ear-monsters/id652283694?ls=1&mt=8

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Advertisement

This is really cool! It's a shame that I didn't attend GDC; I would have loved to hear the process that you went through to produce the sound for this project.

My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jasminecoopermusic

"The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you are an artist." Max Jacob

Thanks! I'll be doing a gamasutra post in a day or so going over some of the issues I had developing the game. I'll let folks know when it's up..

Brian Schmidt

FYI, the article I mentioned above is on Gamasutra now: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BrianSchmidt/20130617/194489/Making_Ear_Monsters_Developing_a_3D_Audio_Game.php

Brian

Brian Schmidt

Thanks for sharing Brian!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Really cool stuff Brian! Thanks for sharing!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! It's great to see other people visiting this idea of audio games now that the technology is so available to everyone with the presence of iOS devices.

It's funny, I've had an idea for an audio game for awhile, but

1. I'm not a game designer and

2. These things require custom audio engines and I just don't have the skill set for that.

BUT!

I was in talks with the guys over at Something Else who created the http://papaengine.com/ This was about a year ago and they basically said "Give us a little longer, we're working on an engine/API that will be available to license!" So I've held my horses and now it looks like I have to revisit this idea of mine

Hey Cbledsoejr!

That sound cool. Yes, Somethin' else is apparently now licensing their 3D sound engine. See if you have any friends who do iOS programming and turn your idea into a game. Or were you thinking of trying to programing it yourself.

iOS SDK is pretty good, though it took me a while to get the hang of parts of it.

Brian Schmidt

Hey Cbledsoejr!

That sound cool. Yes, Somethin' else is apparently now licensing their 3D sound engine. See if you have any friends who do iOS programming and turn your idea into a game. Or were you thinking of trying to programing it yourself.

iOS SDK is pretty good, though it took me a while to get the hang of parts of it.

I've been looking to partner with someone who is skilled in programming and can maybe do a test run with me and get a prototype done (So I know what I'm getting myself into!) I do have a friend in mind who has been open to the idea so we'll see how things go, might be a fun experience.

I do have a friend in mind who has been open to the idea so we'll see how things go, might be a fun experience.

Awesome!

One thing I would suggest. Take your idea from "an idea for an audio game" and turn it into a detailed, written design document. There are 500 decisions that need to be made even for the simplest game idea, and defining them is 98% of game design. That'll also make it much easier for your programmer friend to do what you have in mind. and in the process of writing it, you'll uncover a host of these sorts of issues and be forced to spell them out.

Let us know how things go!

Brian Schmidt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement