C# Engine/Framework

Started by
4 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 10 months ago

So I've been looking around but I can't seem to find a good updated topic on C# Frameworks or engines...

I'm looking preferably 2D Engine but frameworks work too I just want to find an Updated Framework/Engine list.

I've dedicated myself too much into C# to give up on it. I've tried Monogame but I can never get the content pipeline to work. My game would never build.

What are some engines/franmeworks I can use?

Advertisement

Hi,

Have you seen this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

When it comes to game engines, in my opinion, a game developer with good, strong experience in 2D and 3D content creation has a huge advantage in navigating any workflow pipeline of the major engines. Since you did not give us hardly any details about your experience and skillset, how can we make a reasonable recommendation?

Assuming that you can use 2D and 3D asset programs, sound editors, and some specialized code generating/compiling tools such as GUI SDKs, then you should be able with community help realize a workflow which suits your abilities. If you are purely a coder, then in my opinion you have only half the skillset needed to use the game engines - all of which are content pipelines. All of the game engines are created to provide you with most of the coding done already so you can focus most of your time on content creation, game functionality, and other direct end-user impacted issues.

I know for a fact that MonoGame has a pipeline in place, but you have not done your research into documentation, folder/file READ-MEs, tutorials, and simply asking the MonoGame community for direct help on specific needs of yours.

Research is the intellectual backbone of game development. The more thorough that you are in research, then the more capable you will be as a developer. It is safe to say that in the course of a week, you should be spending a substantial number of hours in research alone.

I let you know these things to help you and not to deride you. wink.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

The Content Pipeline is not yet implemented with MonoGame - You can set up Visual Studio 2010 with XNA to compile your assets, then transfer them directly into your MonoGame project. (Check step 3 from this article on setting up MonoGame.)

There's also an XNA Content Compiler on CodePlex, but I haven't tried it out yet.

It's a minor nuisance at first, but you get used to it. I keep a basic project open to drop my assets into, and a shortcut to the build folder so I can transfer them out as they're added.

The Content Pipeline is not yet implemented with MonoGame - You will need to set up Visual Studio 2010 with XNA to compile your assets, then transfer them directly into your MonoGame project. (Check step 3 here, a good article on setting up MonoGame.)

Never the less, that is the pipeline for that engine, even though it is largely outside. A pipeline for an engine can be internal, external, or both.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Perhaps stick with MonoGame but ignore the prebuilt content pipeline and develop your own systems. Some examples...

- Textures: Easy to load in without the content pipeline.

- Models: Reading in Obj Wavefront models and generating buffer objects is pretty similar in XNA to any other low level Gfx API.

- Sound: That XACT stuff was naff anyway. MonoGame is based on OpenTk, so perhaps use the OpenAL part of it directly.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

A problem with creating a pipeline is broken access to the goodies already available, many of which are huge time savers and make nice content, too.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement