Seeing this page from WinXP...

Started by
20 comments, last by PyroMeistar 22 years, 6 months ago
... and very happy of it! Windows XP is cool (except maybe for the ''friendly interface'' type of stuff but you can always switch back to the old style). I reformatted my HD and used the new NTFS type partition. Actually, it''s two time as fast as FAT32 without the exuberances of a Linux native partition. Even the diskette reading process is 2x faster! I also like the way each users have their own work directory (much like linux) + the root user. My only complaint is about micro$oft who freely gives utility programs and doesn''t even let you uninstall them (explorer for instance...). That is what we call unfair competition.
Advertisement
NTFS is nice, isn''t it?
Gotta love those B-trees ...
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
you can uninstall IE.
or even have the option of not installing it to begin with..
they''re trying to avoid antitrust this time.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
DONT UNINSTALL IE!!!! AAAAKKK!!! YOU''LL ALL DIE!!! Just a kind warning. All operating systems (recent ones) are closely tied into ie. Your os will function, but you''ll get all kindsa interesting issues. This is my experience anyway.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
Explorer is the name of the taskbar executable... uninstalling that wouldnt be fun unless you had a different shell set
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Yeah, ie runs the whole show. Havent you noticed the similarities between control panel & your internet explorer web browser? :/
NTFS is fun??

You would know better if you have a Linux on parallel, as I do. Try exchanging data (it would be really great to have only one opera.adr, but writing for NTFS isn''t supported under Linux, and using reiserfs under Win seems to be far away) then.

Greetings Ben
NTFS is horrible. Just two words: extreme fragmentation. I find it unbelievable how a filesystem can actually fragment *that much* ! And defragmentation isn''t fun at all on big partitions. I use HPFS, it works on Windows and Linux, it''s self-defragmenting, and faster (under Windows).

- AH
NTFS faster than FAT? Excuse me? Every benchmark I''ve seen so far have got the same results: NTFS is *slower* than FAT32. I''m too lazy to dig them up now, but one can always can search the net.

Now, I''m not talking about security here, just speed. And yes, having to share an NTFS partition with Linux is a pain in the a**.

Now, how can one use HPFS under Windows XP?

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
I see this has turned into an NTFS-bashing thread. Incidentally, I do run Linux on this machine. Call me when EXT2 or FAT32 supports streams, ACLs, encryption, compression, and fault tolerance, or when ReiserFS, JFS, and XFS are slightly less beta. And as for speed ... the only thing that NTFS is inherently slower than FAT32 at is opening files, and this is because it has to do much more extensive security checks. But as your partitions get larger, and directories grow to have more files, NTFS easily overtakes FAT32. I hope you all know the difference between O(n) and O(log n). Directories containing 10,000 files are no fun with FAT32 . Oh, and IIRC, you can't use HPFS on anything > NT4.

Edited by - Martee on October 24, 2001 1:45:08 PM
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement