API Wars horror - Will it matter?

Started by
28 comments, last by TheChubu 10 years, 9 months ago

Ahem. Getting back to the point: Direct3D is great and there is no particular reason to jump away from it. OpenGL mostly works fine too, it's not ideal on Windows but I'm using it and getting by. (Allows me to share a lot of code.) The key point is to understand the underlying concepts and the underlying hardware -- and to some extent the OS and drivers, as well. With those things in hand, the APIs are really nothing more than necessary tools. Switching between them is just a matter of practical hassles, rather than any particular learning curve.

If I were teaching modern interactive graphics to undergraduate students today, I would spend the first few lectures on hardware and math. Those are far more important.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

If UbiSoft offers to pay Microsoft for one of their DirectX consulting programmers, you don't think that this will happen?

I'm an engine programmer at Ubisoft. DirectX consulting programmers don't exist. This doesn't happen.

I'm sorry about the "James Camarack" thing. biggrin.png

And I have to thank you again, for clearing things up for me!

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

Well, luckily there's a great answer already posted regarding GL vs D3D.
And like the article explains, it's a history lesson, and epic failure on OpenGL's part.
Though today Microsoft is pulling some very irritating behaviors lately of having DX 11.1 for Windows 8, and DX 11.2 for Windows 8.1; not to mention their API documentation has became worst on every iteration of the API.
If they keep doing it (and Khronos Group doesn't fall asleep AGAIN) then GL may get a boost once more (but a redesign is needed).

What API does PS3 use?

A modified version of OpenGL (more specifically OpenGL ES if I'm not mistaken) called LibGCM, but I never used it. I'll let someone else give more info.

LibGCM is a library for very low level GPU access. The provided (partial) OpenGL implementation for PS3 built on top of libGCM is very slow and useless, to the point developers just prefer to work with libgcm directly (and it's more flexible btw.

My bad huh.png That's what I remembered reading in the past, but like I said I never programmed for the PS3.

My bad huh.png That's what I remembered reading in the past, but like I said I never programmed for the PS3.

At the start of the PS3's life time the fact a OGL|ES implementation existed was jumped on by the 'opengl everywhere!' gang and has since been reported as a fact the PS3 uses OpenGL... alas to this day the misinformation exists and thus this common mistake crops up sad.png
Its a crossover of James Cameron and John Carmack happy.png

Oh dear... We've created a monster...

WITH CHAINSAW POWERED LASER BEAMS!

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  • Why is Direct3D preferred by the large companies? (Dice, CryTek, Epic Games...)

It's simpler. There is less variation in the drivers, and the debugging/authoring tools are much stronger.

• Should I port my engine to OpenGL. (I have no thoughts of making my engine cross-platform)

Probably not. It won't buy you much.
  • Should I even worry about this? unsure.png

No.

• How does the future look for DX and OpenGL?

Same as always. New features will be added to the GPU. A new version of the API's will be released. Neither are going away any time soon.
  • What API does PS3 use?

Native calls to the hardware. There is (a really bad) GLES implementation on top of the native calls, but no one uses it.
  • Is it normal to dream about API Wars? wacko.png

Less so than it used to be. Both api's are pretty much the same save for some syntactic sugar.

If UbiSoft offers to pay Microsoft for one of their DirectX consulting programmers, you don't think that this will happen?

I'm an engine programmer at Ubisoft. DirectX consulting programmers don't exist. This doesn't happen.

AMD, Intel, Microsoft, and Nvidia, all have their own Field Application Engineers that are available to help optimise CPU/GPU codepaths for your product.
So yes, it can, and absolutely does happen. (although I'm in no way implying that marcClintDion is correct in everything he says obviously!)

The only graphics consultants you get in are the AMD and NVidia guys and mostly only if you have a deal with them to do a certain feature for their hardware. And there is a whole lot of nasty that happens with these deals as well as these guys pick their respective rivals driver apart and ask you to do features they know are faster in their implementation just to keep on top of the performance lists if your game is a benchmark game.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

AMD, Intel, Microsoft, and Nvidia, all have their own Field Application Engineers that are available to help optimise CPU/GPU codepaths for your product.
So yes, it can, and absolutely does happen. (although I'm in no way implying that marcClintDion is correct in everything he says obviously!)

I'm not sure about MS on the Windows side, but this is absolutely the case with the hardware companies, and for Xbox and PS devs too. That's partly what those NVIDIA/AMD splash logos on games are about. And developers DO get paid to support new DirectX versions and features. All the time. Quite a bit of money changed hands when DX11 was released, in order to have some games support it. The payers are simply the people who get the most immediate and concrete benefit from gamers needing the latest DirectX features. That's not Microsoft, it's the IHVs.

What Microsoft has done, historically, is to go out of their way to make DirectX development easy for small and large developers. And they did that very well for a very long time.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement